New Site Header Layout

5:34 p.m. on June 6, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
346 reviewer rep
1,003 forum posts

Those of you who are on the site regularly may have noticed that today we did a slight update to the sitewide navigation at the top of the page. 

Account-management links (Messages, Profile, Settings, and Logout) have been consolidated into a popup menu accessed by hovering over your username in the far upper-right corner of the screen.

With the space that used to be taken up by those links, we were able to move the Blog, Forums and People links up to the top of the page.

Combined with a couple minor spacing changes, this has opened up more space so that each page will show quite a bit more content before you have to scroll.

3:40 a.m. on June 7, 2014 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

It took me a big of looking to figure out where the forums went, but I was used to the old layout. I think this will work out once people get used to it, and of course new members won't know the difference.

One thing that is better-before, not sure why, I had to do an "end run" around the reviews to get to the forum button; might have been something with my browser. Hard to explain, but the location bar or whatever you call it would sometimes disappear as I started to scroll over it to click on the forums. The redesign solves that problem.

11:31 a.m. on June 7, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,400 forum posts

I saw immediately the new change but took me less than a second to see where the forums section had been moved. Looks good!

5:10 p.m. on June 7, 2014 (EDT)
1,462 reviewer rep
1,347 forum posts

Funny, I noticed this change immediately upon connecting to the site today :).

btw I saw the same "end run" issue that Tom mentioned with the old layout.  The new layout resolves it.

It does seem to further de-emphasize the fact that the forums are a part of the site  - hopefully the new smaller link in the upper corner (instead of part of the top nav bar) won't reduce the number of new users who discover the forums.

9:48 a.m. on June 8, 2014 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Nice change, Dave. I noticed it yesterday, but didn't see the thread to comment on it.

6:18 p.m. on June 10, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,612 reviewer rep
619 forum posts

I like the changes. More text per page it seems like. 

10:12 a.m. on June 11, 2014 (EDT)
602 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

Took me a while staring at the page. At my age when you look for something and it isn't immediately there, you forget what you were looking for! LOL! I get lost in the Elevator though......

December 6, 2019
Quick Reply