How to clean a tent

4:46 p.m. on June 29, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning a tent of human urine?  Had a scout apparently not 'aim well' during the night.  I am not sure what to use that won't affect the waterproofing on the tent.  

9:00 a.m. on June 30, 2014 (EDT)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

I would suggest a rinse with a hose, followed by a bath in McNett MiraZyme Odor Eliminator

8:10 a.m. on July 1, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Thank you!  I will give that a try.

2:12 a.m. on July 18, 2014 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
560 forum posts

There are products from vets and others that have enzymes that attack the proteins that produce the smell.  Works good on cat urine 'markings'.

11:35 p.m. on July 20, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestions.  Several people also suggested plain old baking soda so we filled a small kiddie pool with water, stirred in some baking soda, put the tent in and 'scrubbed' it around.  We set it up, hosed it off and let it dry.  put it away for a week or more.  Just used it again this weekend and didn't detect any odor.  We had no rain to test the waterproof status so will have to wait to see on that.  

8:27 p.m. on August 2, 2014 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

If you have a regular-sized bathtub, turn tent inside-out, shake to remove debris and dust and food wrappers. Wash the tent in an effective detergent or use the products suggested above. Remove all clothing from the Scout except for proper underpants, and toss the Scout into the tub for a total washing. Have a 'second adult' present which is required under Scouting Protocols...unless it is your kid...you are the Mom...and you can assure that tent and Scout are properly cleaned. Some embarrassment may occur, but Scouts with poor aim will exit the tent on the next adventure and use a retired plastic latté cup as a vessel, emptying the contents judiciously at the base of plant materials that will appreciate the hydration and nutrients. See my tutorial about emergency liquid transfer while waiting for long periods in a car, snarled in traffic. It is posted on my Timeline...go look.  Yes, my comments are always appropriate as I am a 'decorated' Boy Scout Commissioner and display Scout-like behaviours.  Scouts must learn to service their own gear and other equipment that is Troop property. This is part of Scout instruction; the adults are not hired-hands to wait on spoiled and careless children; they must learn to be part of all activities.

January 25, 2020
Quick Reply