Leaky Valve on Sit Pad

9:30 a.m. on October 4, 2014 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

I have a sit pad from REI, the valve leaks and I was wanting to know if anyone knows how to repair those. It appears exactly to be like the thermarest valves. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, it seems such a waste to discard the pad due to a leaky valve.

Thanks! 

LR

12:38 p.m. on October 5, 2014 (EDT)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace dirtwheels.

From the REI website: Found here.

"100% Satisfaction Guaranteed       

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase.

REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.

You can return or exchange purchases from REI or REI-OUTLET by mail or at any of our retail locations, regardless of whether you made your purchase online, by phone or in an REI store."

------------------------

I can't answer your question directly, but you might be covered by their Warranty or Guarantee. I would definitely contact REI and ask.

I hope that helps some.

Mike G.

11:12 p.m. on October 5, 2014 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

Thanks Mike,

It was a garage sale purchase, and the guys at the local REI have no knowledge of repair parts.

dw

4:55 p.m. on October 6, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I have the same problem with my Therm-a-Rest pad. Guess I could contact them about it?

6:51 p.m. on October 7, 2014 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

GP, Sounds like a plan, I hope you share what you learn.

9:47 p.m. on October 7, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

This what Cascade Designs warranty page says: 

Warranty & Repair

We at Cascade Designs, Inc. take pride in offering the highest-quality outdoor gear available, and we stand behind everything we make. If you experience any problems with a Cascade Designs product, the information below will help you with getting it repaired or replaced as quickly as possible.

Most damaged Cascade Designs products can be repaired

In order to keep our products in use and out of the landfills, Cascade Designs offers a repair service. If you cannot repair your product, please return it to the Cascade Designs Service Center. If possible we will repair non-warranty damage at a fair rate. For North American customers, please contact our Customer Service Center below for details on current repair fees. For customers outside North America, please consult our International Distributor listings.

E-mail: Cascade Designs Service Center
Tel: 1-800-531-9531
Fax: 1-800-583-7583
Address:
4225 Second Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134 U.S.A.
Hours of operation:
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

*We ask that you clean products before sending them to us.

What is not covered

Normal wear, abrasion, misuse, alteration, abuse, taking apart of the product, or improper washing and drying are not covered. This warranty does not cover damage caused by improper care, accidents, prolonged UV exposure, or the natural breakdown of certain materials over long periods of time. Cascade Designs will not be liable for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply. Shipping charges to Cascade Designs for a defective product are not covered.

How to obtain warranty service or repair service for field-damaged products

1. Please click here to log into our website and create a Return Authorization number. If you do not have a login, then click the "Need to sign up for a new account? Please click here" link at the top of the login page. If you live outside the United States, please contact our Customer Service Center at consumer@cascadedesigns.com or 800-531-9531.
  2. Send in the item(s) to Cascade Designs Inc with the RA#, your name, and return address marked on the outside of the package. We recommend using a carrier who can provide tracking for your package.
  3. Please make sure all mattresses and tents are clean before sending them in.
  4. Please do not send checks or cash; you will be contacted via email if there is a charge for your repair.
  5. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your item(s) to be returned to you.

LIMITED WARRANTY/LIMITATIONS OF REMEDIES AND LIABILITY

Limited Warranty. Cascade Designs, Inc. ("Cascade"), to the original owner ("Owner"), under intended use and maintenance, warrants the enclosed product ("Product") to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the Product. No warranty against defects in materials and workmanship will apply if Product is (i) altered in any way, (ii) used for purposes inconsistent with Product’s intended purpose or design, or (iii) improperly maintained. Warranty will furthermore be voided where Owner/user (i) failed to follow Product instructions or warnings or (ii) subjected Product to misuse, abuse, or neglect.

During the warranty period, original Product parts determined by Cascade to be defective in materials or workmanship will be repaired or replaced as Owner’s sole remedy. Cascade reserves the right to replace any discontinued product with a new product of comparable value and function. A returned product deemed irreparable becomes the property of Cascade and will not be returned.

EXCLUDING THE LIMITED WARRANTY PROVIDED ABOVE, CASCADE, ITS AFFILIATES AND THEIR SUPPLIERS, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, DUTIES AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESSED, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, AGAINST LATENT DEFECTS, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR CORRESPONDENCE TO DESCRIPTION.

Warranty Service. To obtain service under this warranty, the warranty-eligible Product must be presented to a Cascade authorized dealer. In the United States and Canada, warranty service may also be obtained by calling 1-800-531-9531[M-F, 8:00-4:30, PDT].

Owner is responsible for all costs associated with returning Product to Cascade for service. Where at its sole discretion Cascade deems Product eligible for warranty repair or replacement, Cascade will pay the shipping and handling associated with returning repaired or replaced Product to Owner. In instances where Cascade deems a returned product ineligible for warranty service, Cascade will, if possible, repair product for a reasonable charge that includes return shipping and handling. For warranty return service details, please go to www.cascadedesigns.com.

Limitation of Remedies. Should a court of competent jurisdiction find the limited warranty set forth above breached, Cascade’s only obligation will be to, at its option, either repair or replace Product. Should the aforementioned remedy fail of its essential purpose, Cascade will, in exchange for return of Product, refund to Owner Product’s original purchase price. THE FOREGOING REMEDY IS THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE PURCHASER AGAINST CASCADE, ITS AFFILIATES AND THEIR SUPPLIERS, REGARDLESS OF LEGAL THEORY.

Limitation of Liability. Cascade’s, its affiliates’ and their suppliers’ maximum liability is limited to incidental damages not to exceed the original purchase price of the Product. CASCADE, ITS AFFILIATES AND THEIR SUPPLIERS HEREBY DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION APPLIES TO ALL LEGAL THEORIES UNDER WHICH DAMAGES MAY BE SOUGHT, AND WILL APPLY EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.

This limited warranty gives Owner specific legal rights; Owner may have additional rights, which may vary state to state.

Always completely follow safety, use, operation, and maintenance instructions for this or any other Cascade product.

European Union customer statutory rights are not affected.

11:12 a.m. on October 8, 2014 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
196 forum posts

They sell Thermarest replacement valve kits.

6:56 p.m. on October 8, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Really how does the valve parts come off the Thermarest? Not that I have tried but thought it would be built into the pad.

9:51 p.m. on October 8, 2014 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

GP, that would be a helpful answer...and it looks like it's covered at the end to the video in the link.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/accessories/valve-repair-kit/product

With that in mind $8 for a repair kit and $12 for shipping I can purchase aZ seat and save 2 oz and spend less $$ and have a new pad to try out to add structure to my polite jam 50.

Looks like I'll hold on to the pad until I can find a repair valve in a local shop. Or ship to store could work.

Thanks for the help!

7:09 a.m. on October 9, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

dirtwheels,

You have the Jam 50? I used to have a Golite pack called the Gust, I think was the name back in the 90s that weight just about 1 lb. I would like to find another one. It was basically a giant stuff sack with shoulder straps and a waist strap. Had external mesh pockets and a draw string top. With my Ensolite pad unrolled inside for stability it was very light weight. I also at that time had a Golite sleeping bag called the Featherlight which weighed 9 oz and was down (of course) and was good to 20-30 degrees I forget. And I had a Golite tent which I do not remember the name but weighed about 2.5 lbs. So total for pack,tent,pad and bag was only 5.6 lbs.

My stove which I have had for 14 years the Pocket Rocket by MSR and my MSR 8 oz fuel canister and MSR 1 quart Stowaway pan weighs about 26.1 oz adding another 1.7 lbs to the above weight. 

It was a marvelous packing for weight system. I could go on over night hikes with just 6.13 lbs without food water water filter and extra clothing. Don't know why I ever changed that back to heavier gear, though thinking about it my tent,bag,pad and stove gear weighs just 15.5 lbs just under ten pounds heavier.

Now at almost 59 years old, I think I may start trying to get back to the lighter gear when I am working and can afford it in Wyoming's summers. Anymore I usually just go on overnight to multi-night hikes.

I have been a steady backpacker for 37.2 years since 1977.

9:23 p.m. on October 9, 2014 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

GP,

Yes I have a Jam 50, I like it pretty well I do think the straps could be beefier though. You had a great system, 9 oz bag good to 20*, impressive, I'm a novice so the 9 oz. 20* bag seems like a stretch, are you sure that's the weight?

I'm still working on my 1st gear spreadsheet. But I think my shelter & insulation hit about the 4.5# range.

• hammock with bug net & suspension 1 lb. 4 oz.
  • 20* UQ 1 lb.
  • 35* TQ 1 lb. 3 oz.
  • Tarp w/doors on one side, guys and stakes 1 lb.
  • Total 4 lb. 7 oz. +/- 4 oz.

I'll have to check on my lightest cook set, but I am working to learn what works for me and trying to get a handle on what I need and what don't and develop the required skills to be safe and efficient hiking. 

I've just been hiking and doing solos for the last 2 years, I have a great deal to learn. I haven't had a steady hobby of any kind for 25 years much less almost 40. I'm 50.

dw

10:12 a.m. on October 10, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I have as I said had my MSR Stowaway cook pot which is 1 quart and Pocket Rocket stove for about 12 years now.

The cook pot comes in many sizes and I like it because the lid secures down to the pot with a old fashioned style Mason jar closer which makes it almost water proof and I can either leave the unused cooked food inside till later or stow my MSR Pocket Rocket stove, a lighter, spork and a pot scrubber inside to carry in my back pack.

MSR-Pocket-rocket.jpg

The stove shown above attached to a ghost MSR (and other brands) fuel container and its small triangle shaped box. The box is about 2 inches by 4 inches.

msr_stowaway_pots_1.jpg

The Stowaway cook pot comes in different sizes. The smallest is very tiny in the middle above, mine is the one on the left. 

MSR-Fuel-.jpg

The MSR fuel cannister comes in a few sizes but I use the medium 4 oz one and I only cook one meal a day so it lasts me about 14 days. And my method of cooking is to bring the water to a boil, then add the pasta, ramen or whatever and turn off the heat, stir and cover with the lid (unclasped) and let it sit for 10 minutes. Theres no need to simmer pasta after being added to boiling water as the covered pot will contain the heat and loose just 30 degrees in 30 minutes making it at 180 degrees still very hot to eat and fully cook the pasta,Ramen or other foods. I let it sit longer for some veggies like diced carrots.

I have been backpacking 6-9 months/30 days a year for 37 years.I used to literally go backpacking or bicycle touring 276 days a year from September to late May from 1977 to 2003, 26 years. Before and after that I worked about 6 months a year. I would spend my summers working Memorial Day to labor Day then take Sept 1st to June 1st off living out of a backpack or bike panniers on about $200 a month  ( at current food prices). I know camping better than renting a room. Since I turned 50 in 2006 I have reduced my adventure travel down to about 6 months a year. Now I work still the 3 months of summer, take 3 months off to travel and day hike or bicycle tour, then work 3 months in mid winter then take 3 months to travel bike/hike again till late spring then work another summer. I will be 59 in January and at present in Tucson AZ taking it easy for a while. In summer I have worked 29 of them in Jackson Hole WY near Grand Teton and Yellowstone Parks, one summer in Denali NP in Alaska and two summers in a small town 20 miles from Zion NP.

This winter in Tucson I am renting a $200 a month room so am looking for a part time job to pay the bills of food/rent. I ride a bike and take the city bus to hiking destinations. Next spring in April I will be again on my way to work in Wyoming.

And yes the Golite Featherlight bag did weigh in at 9 oz and was rated to 20. It stuffed into a compression sack and then down to the size of a soccer ball overnight. I gave it away a couple springs ago when it was squirting down so much I woke every morning covered in it. My current bag is a Coleman 20 degree bag that weighs about 3 lbs. In summer I use it like a quilt over me unzipped. I just bought the Alpine Designs at a thrift shop in Jackson WY and its weight is 1.5 lbs and is only good to 45 degrees but its super soft nylon and very comfortable. And works good for Tucsons winter weather.

7:27 p.m. on October 10, 2014 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

You certainly have experience in spades, and spending that much time in the woods it would be logical to use the heavier duty pots and the gas stoves. My trips are much shorter and lighter in nature.

With that in mind I'm a freezer bag/freeze dried/dehydrated guy and use alcohol stoves both DIY and machined. Most of my stoves weigh about 1.2 oz., and are either heavy beer bottles or something similar.

I have used an aluminum IMUSA pot either in 10  or 12 cm, or a ketalist. I recently acquired a Snow Peak mini-soloist. The mini-soloist without the cup, an TATO Gear AB-13, cozy, wind screen, lid, stuff sack, and small cloth is 6 oz. Fuel not included.

I really don't need a cup when freezer bag cooking I just use the pot of rmy cup with a hot lip.

As a hammock guy I mainly use quilts. 

10:25 p.m. on October 10, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I carry just my cook pot no cup. I drink from the cook pot. 

February 16, 2020
Quick Reply