MSR Rapidfire stove

10:14 p.m. on December 13, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Does anyone have any directions on how to disassemble the stove for cleaning. I was able to pick one up on Craigslist and it looks to need a cleaning. Any help would be helpful.

Thanx!

1:16 a.m. on December 14, 2014 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace James, I have never cleaned a Rapidfire myself - maybe one of the other members here can tell you.

To the best of my knowledge the Rapidfire was MSR's first Gas Canister stove, and was discontinued in 2001. The MSR website does not have a users manual or schematic for the stove (i just checked), but it is a modified Whisperlite white gas stove converted to burn butane canister gas. Generally gas canister stoves like the Rapidfire do not need periodic cleaning like liquid gas stoves do.

MSR does have a cleaning video for the Whisperlite though your Rapidfire will differ slightly.

Also you may want to contact MSR and tell them you need cleaning instructions.

10:17 a.m. on December 14, 2014 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

After looking around a good bit I don't see much on the web concerning the cleaning of this stove.

I do see that Hikin' Jim, author of the Adventures in Stoving Blog just posted a stove review, he would be a good person to check with on cleaning the Rapidfire - I know he did a review of it.

10:40 p.m. on December 14, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanx for the fast reply everyone, I might just leave it the way it is.  I was able to hook up a can to test it out and it worked perfectly. I did get a little freaked out at the initial screwing on as some gas escaped. other than that it was fine no other leaks. I also checked the o ring and it was not brittle so that was good news. Does anyone know where I can get o rings just incase it goes missing? All I need is a some cooking equipment. 

Im pretty excited to use this stove, I want to use this on overnight bike camping trips as well as light bike tours. 

1:16 a.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Good deal James - it's normal to have a very small amount of gas escape as you screw the canister on or off - at least all mine do.

You can get O rings through the MSR website as part of a maintenance kit, but that kit is for gas stoves with a pump, and has parts you do not need. Some people just carry their old one to a local auto parts store and have one matched up.

Make sure any O ring you buy is approved for use in fuel systems, (nitrile or fluorocarbon I think but be sure to ask ).

10:26 a.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
253 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

If it pretty much a Whisperlite, they still make a version of the Whisperlite that can also use canister gas, currently called the Whisperlite Universal.  I see that they have changed the feet on some of the Whisperlites from wire to flat stamped, but service is still the same.

11:52 a.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,037 forum posts

James Jay said:

I did get a little freaked out at the initial screwing on as some gas escaped.

That is pretty much standard with canister stoves, and the propane bottle stoves as well. I have only found one canister stove that did not leak at least a little when screwing the canister on or off, and that was the SOTO I reviewed a while back. The Soto does not give any hint of a leak when attaching the canister and a small "POP!" when removing the canister. OTOH, a stove I am currently reviewing for the Trailspace Gear Review Corps is set up so that attaching and detaching the canister is pretty awkward, giving a long hisss no matter how fast I spin the canister in attaching it.

So the secret is - learn to spin the canister as rapidly as you can putting it on or taking it off.

As for the O-ring, since the canister used by the Rapidfire is the industry standard threaded attachment, the O-rings that fit in most if not all canister stoves should fit. MSR does have "maintenance kits" for their various stoves, so the O-ring in their canister stove kits should fit with no problem. I have several canister stoves in the family collection of a couple dozen stoves and the O-rings on all of them (except for the old Bleuet "puncture" canisters) are interchangeable (one of the many flaws of the Bleuets, both puncture and non-threaded, is that their O-rings age and crack in a fairly short time).

1:56 p.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

You know, I looked on several different pages of the MSR site and could not find a maintenance kit expressly for their canister stoves - only the Annual & Expedition kits for liquid fuel, although the canister O ring does come in that kit. At least mine came with one.

Maybe I should look some more.

8:13 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
272 forum posts

Check an old fashioned auto parts store for the O-rings, instead of buying a maintenance kit.  See if they have ones that will take exposure to petro.  Viton would be best, but others may be just fine for what little you will use the stove.

Duane

April 1, 2020
Quick Reply