Sharpening stone for axe?

7:04 a.m. on April 17, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

How do I choose sharpening stone for axe, knife? 

11:56 a.m. on April 17, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,031 forum posts

Most axes get abused and sharpened infrequently.  A mill file is best to keep them in shape.  For knives I like Arkansas wet stones or a knife steel. Carbon steel knives are much easier to sharpen,  For stainless blades it can be best to have them sharpened in a place like a good grocery store. There are lots of good hones and devices used by hunters, so look for them in a store that sells hunting equipment.

3:51 p.m. on April 17, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

As pine says, sharpen the axe with a flat file. A wet stone is not necessary. For knives, look to good quality wet stones or oilstones. Usually the manufacturer will specify whether it should be used with water or light oil. this is very important as you don't want the filings to embed in the stone. Coarser to finer, obviously. Angle is very important with any edge. A narrow angle cuts cleaner but is more easily gouged. A file comb will keep your file clean. I do sharpen my stainless, but much depends on the grade of stainless and how much carbon is in it. Sharpening edges is as much art as science.

4:17 p.m. on April 19, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,031 forum posts

Some of the sharpeners make keeping the angle of the edge easy. Some have adjustable angles.  For really sharp knives the Japanese wet stones are really good.  Wood workers use them a lot.

January 28, 2020
Quick Reply