How to remove sticky waterproof coating

10:44 p.m. on April 22, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I've got an old TNF duffle bag. Not a Base Camp. It's a small, 43l cordura bag I've had for a long time. I moved to a tropical climate and discovered that the waterproof coating on the interior bottom has become very sticky. It also comes off on your hands, and clings like some NASA-grade pine sap. Since this makes the bag almost useless, I want to remove the coating completely and try not to put it down in a puddle in the future.

I've tried a couple if things, dish soap scrubbed with my brother's toothbrush, and vinegar scrubbed in with his toothbrush. Results were not encouraging. I've heard 50/50 water and ammonia and baking soda as other possibilities. I've checked the forums and found

https://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/159876.html

https://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/117411.html

html://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/72034.html

Those dealt with tents, and a backpack that needed to be recoated. Anybody know a way to just strip it off completely? Rob's toothbrush is wearing out and I don't want to have to buy him a new one.

1:10 a.m. on April 27, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

WD 40 or if you don't care about the bag transmission fluid

9:25 a.m. on April 27, 2015 (EDT)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

Is the bag vinyl-coated? If that's the case, it may be a lost cause. Solvents strong enough to remove vinyl aren't things you want to use on gear. If you've got a flaky, slightly sticky liner on the inside, chances are you're dealing with a polyurethane coating. Others have reported that this is removed with a dilute ammonia solution.

January 25, 2020
Quick Reply