Help me identify these stove parts

11:37 a.m. on May 3, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

Help me Identify these stove parts.  I bought a Svea 123 stove, with a Sigg Tourist windscreen and cook kit, and a Rich-Moore 7000 or 7100 canister stove.  This was all in a large cardboard box with some other hiking stuff (all 60's or early 70's) plus some junk, and the stoves were just mixed in, in pieces. 

There is the stand I cannot identify.  The legs rotate around a rivit so it folds.  It almost fits the Svea stove, but not quite.  I almost wonder if those tabs at the bottom of the ring should be folded in to hold a tealight candle.  The black nob is rubber that has hardened with time.

unknown-stand.jpg

This is the screen I can't figure out where it goes.  It was loose in the box by the brass diverter that goes on the top of the Svea stove's bell.  At first I thought it went there, but it doesn't fit.

Screen.jpg

For reference, this is the Svea stove with the windscreen from the Tourist kit.

Svea-123-w-Sigg-Tourist-Windscreen.jpg

This is the Rich-Moore Stove.  The legs rotate to fold in.  I tested it - it fits on a standard canister and works fine.

Rich-Moor-7000.jpg

Thanks in advance!

1:41 p.m. on May 3, 2015 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,426 forum posts

Got some nice vintage stove stuff there.

I had a SVEA 123 back in the late 70s, they are great year round stoves, just don't light one in a tent or under a tarp as a friend of mine did in his Eureka Timberline and evaporated his tent roof. They do tend to flare up when first lit if over pressurized. But are great for winter. I used to use a small eye dropper to place a little fuel in the indention beneath the top chamber to heat it and change the liquid fuel to a vapor. Is it actually the 123 or the 123a? The "a" model has a small pin the when the valve is off comes up through the jet hole to keep cabon from plugging the jet.

The first one at top may be a alcolhol or military style  stove. The fuel container would go into the round section held in place by the bottom tabs.

The bottom stove looks like a early MSR style stove.

Looks like you got some great finds.

If you want to sell the Svea 123 and its silver parts (aluminum or steel?) let me know I need a good winter stove for Utah this winter next.

Not sure what the screen was for if it fits nothing? How big around is it or across? 

4:57 p.m. on May 3, 2015 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

I have a 123 with the Tourist cookkit. The screen isn't part of that set as far as I know. Never seen the stand before. If you have the rest of the kit, there is a pot, a lid that doubles as a skillet, a pot holder and a strap that holds it all together. The original strap was a clear plastic as I recall, but I don't have mine anymore. The spiritburner website is a good source of info on vintage stoves.  I've seen Svea stoves and parts for sale on Amazon.

8:25 p.m. on May 3, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

No, I am not looking to sell.  I have actually been looking for one for a while.  

I do have the rest of the Tourist kit.  I just didn't include them in the picture.  There are actually two nesting pots, the clear strap and the pot holder.  these are aluminum, but I think they were made in stainless too.  Then there was also an extra Sigg plate.  The stave also had the Optimus pump and the jackknife cleaning needle.  This is the older 123 won the built in needle and the downward sloping valve.

Still wondering if if those parts went with one of these stoves as some accessory or something else entirely.

10:34 p.m. on May 3, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

None of those parts except the Sigg set, goes with the 123. The screen looks like a salt shaker screen or a drain screen. The thing with the legs could be a sterno cooker. I'm just guessing because of the vintage. Sterno cookers were popular once upon a time, and all of this stuff is old, like my stuff :-) and me. I still have my 123R and a couple of Optimus 111 expedition stoves.

1:31 a.m. on May 4, 2015 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

Yep, that sounds right. My kit is aluminum and the stove is a pre shaker valve model with the valve cleaner. I also have a pump for it. I haven't used mine in years. You may want to get a rebuild kit and change the gaskets. One thing I recall reading is to not pressurize the tank very much with the pump. I don't think I ever used mine.

10:48 a.m. on May 4, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

Hi Tom, just clarify for the OP and yourself, the SVEA 123R does not have a shaker valve. Yours uses the pricker, which is a separate tool to clean the jet. The 123R has an internal cleaning needle which is brought up through the orifice by turning the key all the way to open. The OP may want to purchase a new pressure relief valve/tank cap. Otherwise, I doubt that there is anything wrong with the stove. The wick should be checked to see if it is dry or burned. The stove to tank threads don't have a gasket as they are tapered. The pump is really not necessary for priming, nor for maintaining pressure. Leave it at home. The 123 is a very reliable stove.

3:25 a.m. on May 5, 2015 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

Thanks Erich. I did read something after posting about that valve. You're right, mine has the old school valve. What is amazing is that even with all the new stove designs, the 123 is still in production, which means people are still buying it.

I wish that someone made a mini version of the Sigg Tourist, like half size, that you could use with a canister or gas stove. I think that would sell. I know the Jetboil and Reactor are kind of like that, but I'd like to see a more versatile kit, but smaller.

11:23 a.m. on May 5, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

Tom, a few years ago after a sale(not the first or last) of Optimus, there was a move by the new owners to discontinue the 123. They had one final production run of 100-200 stoves distributed world wide by A & H Enterprises. They sold out on pre orders within a month or two. The 123 is a great stove. Certainly has weaknesses(not as stable as others, tank needs insulation from snow), but it is as reliable a stove as is made. Isn't finicky about old gas, a single moving part, no assembly required. For the OP, the company listed above (A & H) still sells them, as well as parts.

10:58 p.m. on May 5, 2015 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

A&H used to have a stand alone website, but these days they are an eBay store, as best I can tell. UPDATE.  Thanks Erich. 

On eBay, they are mostly selling parts and vintage stoves. They are out in Corona, which is east of LA.

I saw the stove on the Optimus website, but they dropped the 123 name and just call it the Svea.

Fyi, Optimus has a new multi fuel stove out, but it's really pricey, Eu 200 which is about $225. Burns anything and uses the upside down style canister for cold weather.

11:25 p.m. on May 5, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

They still have a website, http://ahenterprises.vpweb.com/Optimus-Parts.html, and if you call them, you'll probably talk to Shirlene Thompson. I've been getting stuff from them since the early 90's. They are very helpful. I think they are still in the Fullerton area.

8:25 a.m. on May 6, 2015 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,426 forum posts

:)

1:44 a.m. on May 7, 2015 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Howdy, DrPhun,

That part you cannot identify was called a "heat intensifier" when marketed for use with Sterno stoves.  I have a nice little collection of 600 stoves, and have two versions of Sterno stoves that came with that bit of gear.  It did work very nicely, and cut boiling times just about in half.  However, when considering how very poor most Sterno stoves worked for such jobs, that figure is not really taht impressive.  I can post a photo if you'd like to see it in action.  But, that is, indeed, what you have, minus the other parts of the kits that came with those Sterno stoves.  My oldest one dates to around 1945, if memory stoves, and that item was still being used in some of the stoves that Sterno offered in the 1960's.  I hope that helps, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,

Doc

2:56 p.m. on May 7, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

The first picture is a Sterno stove.  The Sterno can sits below the intesifier  ring.  Not a bad stove in its day.

The Rich-Moore stove looks similar to a one a friend had in the mid-70s.  His stove was branded by Remington.  I remember seeing the same stove under several brands.

I have a Svea 123 with the stainless Tourist cook kit.  I used a smaller aluminum made for the Svea for a few years.  I believe it was an Optimist brand.  Good kit thin aluminum very light.  Had to retire it because of corrosion -- pin holes in the pot. 

I'm interested in selling the Svea and Tourist cook kit.  They're in good shape.

8:13 a.m. on May 8, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

Thanks for the info on the Sterno stove/Intensifier ring.  I suppose I should have guessed it was for Sterno, but the ring threw me off. 

I didn't say it before (trying not to overcomplicate), but there were two old sterno stoves, too.  They were the black painted, thin sheet metal that folded flat for storage (in a paper envelope) and assembled into a box shape for use.  The still a very similar design, but different material, at Wal-mart today.   

Doc, a picture would be great.

4:53 p.m. on May 8, 2015 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hi, DrPhun,

Glad I could help.  Here is a quick photos I just snapped of two slightly different models, so you could see them with their original pots.

Please give me a shout, if you need something more.  Good to meet you, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,

Doc

Hummm...  my photo was deleted and not posted.  Guess I'll have to figure out how to post photos on this forum.  I'll get back to you as soon as I learn how to do this.  OK, I think I have it!

Sterno-heat-intensifier.jpg

9:01 a.m. on May 9, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

Excellent!  I see - the mystery tab on the bottom of the "heat intensifier" aligns it with the can of sterno - thanks for showing that part in use. 

11:01 a.m. on May 9, 2015 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Morning, DrPhun,

You are most welcome, Sir! Neat little stoves, these Sternos, but not for really serious use. However, a few of their very light aluminum pot sets are well seeking out and acquiring.  Paired with a nice light backpacking stove, they work very well, though care needs be taken not to damage them, as these pots are very thin, and easily dented/damaged.  Just a thought.....  Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,

Doc

6:12 p.m. on May 12, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

Well there was a little Sterno pot that I thought went with the sheet metal folding Sterno stoves, but seeing your picture caused me to look again and sure enough, it fits the stand.  The whole thing is quite small - did they used to make smaller cans of Sterno, more like the size of the cat can alcohol stoves?  There is also a tool to snuff out the Sterno.  I thought it went with the folding stoves, but it seemed too small to work well - now I perceive it goes with this kit as well.

IMG_3228.jpg

9:11 a.m. on May 13, 2015 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Morning, DrPhun,

Yep, that is, indeed, a Sterno pot for that stand, and the snuffer was always included with those kits, from what I've seen.  The little pots that Sterno made, aside from the enameled steel ones, are ultra-light, when compared to many other small pots out there today, but they are also easily dented, if you are not careful.

Yes, Sterno, indeed, made smaller cans back then.  I have maybe 5-6 of the smaller cans, and the fit the stands nicely, even if a bit snug.   The larger, modern cans of Sterno, will not fit into the stands, sorry to say.  IF you want to use your little Sterno stove, with that stand, then seek out one of the older cans, and simply clean it up, and refill it with modern Sterno.  VOILA!  That will get your setup back into working condition.  Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,

Doc

January 28, 2020
Quick Reply