Sawyer squeeze filter and other manufactures water bladder

8:30 a.m. on August 20, 2015 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

While hiking this week I noticed someone using a 4 liter Platypus bladder with a Sawyer Squeeze water filter. I heard that the threads on the filter are not compatible with the Platypus thread. But this guy was using it successfully.  Does anyone have experience pairing the Sawyer Squeeze with bladders made by other manufacturers? 

11:19 a.m. on August 20, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,261 forum posts

I used a platy bag with a Sawyer Squeeze for quite a while. I was questioned about it so much I made a video to prove it worked:

That being said, I would probably go for matching threads. lol

I've heard that Evernew bottles match and have observed that most standard disposable bottles (soda, water, etc..) also work.

1:16 p.m. on August 20, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
194 forum posts

Definitely fits.  I will go further and say that smartwater caps work well as replacements for the platypus.  Based upon my examinations, it looks to me like the reason a lot of other caps don't work on the on platypus is because most disposable water bottle caps are only half as tall (so they use less plastic?) and barely engage, while most soda bottle caps only have partial threads (so they can be installed more easily at the bottling plant?)  

4:39 p.m. on August 20, 2015 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
393 forum posts

I've seen discussions on this before, and it seems some people can get it to work and others cannot. The thread pitch is definitely different, I think it's a matter of screwing them together in a way that the threads of one bend the threads of the other so they achieve a fit.

Or, just get an Evernew bladder or use SmartWater bottles, they have the same thread pitch as the Sawyer filters and fit perfectly.

December 7, 2019
Quick Reply