Knife sharpening service....

12:16 a.m. on September 15, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Hi everyone...

I just purchased a really nice knife and although it is really sharp I would like to know if any of you know an individual that sharpens knives.  I mean, a guru, the go to person that can get a knife so sharp that it cuts you by just being in the same room.  :)   I know that knife sharpening is a skill, which takes a long time to hone.  (Pun intended) So I would like to be able to send the knife to this former navy seal, well known outdoors-man, or a the guy that sharpens the knives for the rich and famous.  I kid around, but I am serious.  I suck at sharpening knives.  I do more bad than good...

So any of you have a "guy"?  

Snakey

5:55 a.m. on September 15, 2015 (EDT)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Hey Snakey,

I think most larger towns / cities have a guy that is very good at sharpening things.

Carpenters, landscapers, and other trades create a market for a good sharpening guy.

Of course not all sharpening services have a guy with the skill level you seek. I have paid to get table saw blades sharpened and on a few ocassions was not satisfied with the results.

I finally had a guy in my area recommend to me by a friend, and the guy had madd skills, very impressive.

This particular guy was not in the yellow pages or advertised in any way, he worked strictly by referral.

I hope you can find someone in your area too!

9:35 a.m. on September 15, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,173 reviewer rep
1,701 forum posts

Ask someone in your town who cuts hair.  They all send out their scissors and clippers to a sharpening service. 

11:21 p.m. on September 15, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Or maybe a 5 star chef?

10:42 a.m. on September 16, 2015 (EDT)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

I've had great results with "Wicked Sharp" here in Maine. They've sharpened my chefs knives very, very well.

11:20 p.m. on September 16, 2015 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
11,853 reviewer rep
465 forum posts

Rmemeber to also be VERY specific before letting someone take them... I've have a beautiful Helle knife that a well referred guy butchered. It had a stainless outer coating that he completely ground, not just the blade edge. 

1:07 p.m. on September 17, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Yeah Sean, that worries me as the main knife has a black protective coating.

10:20 p.m. on November 14, 2015 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

You can do it man! A good leather strop and black,green, and white compounds should be all you need unless the edge has rolled or you want to reprofile the edge. As for blade coatings I have nothing against them but will say any blade coating is going to cause friction but they do protect your knife so it really depends on the knife and you. You can buy an item called a worksharp and it will do the work for you. im always willing to help people learn to sharpen their knives and pick ones and with all the brands and steels out now it can be a challenge. I could go on and on about this subjuect and if people would like I will do a post or something for sharping or anything knife related. If you got any questions please ask and I'll be more than happy to help you.

10:28 p.m. on November 14, 2015 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I got to point out a lot of people don't know the different grinds knives have hollow, convex,flat,ect so it's best left to someone who knows these angles. The worksharp would be easy for you and they work very well, a strop has a learning curve but man you will be so proud once you get the hang of it and your knive will be sharp like you wouldn't belive.

5:20 a.m. on November 15, 2015 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Not only the grind but the steel.  What steel is the blade?  If you don't know, tell us the knife, and I'll look it up.   If it's not one of the new super steels, I'd sharpen it myself.  It truly isn't t difficult skill to learn.  I learned as a teen and no many others who learned as teens.  Millions upon millions have learned the skill. 

10:47 a.m. on November 15, 2015 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

Carbon steel is not that hard to get really sharp. Japanese water stones work really well.

Get to know your local butcher. Most of the good ones will sharpen knives for free.

If you have stainless steel good luck.

11:48 a.m. on November 15, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Thanks guys...

It is a Kabar, and they call it 1095 Cro-Van steel, which they say is easy to sharpen.

I called one guy up in Washington and he was supposed to be really good, but he was such a dick to deal with, that I just did not want to send it to him. 

I have been practicing since I first made this post but I am not having much success. I used to be good at it, but it takes so long to get it done.  I have a Spyderco system and have been practicing on my old kitchen knives with abysmal results.  I may just get a set of flat sharpening stones, but it sure would have been nice to get a pro to just get it done.  It is a tactical knife...which I carry for protection, (no I am not some crazy dude...I live in a bad neighborhood) and wanted to have a new edge put on the top section.  

KA1245.jpg
This is the knife.....except mine does not have the serrated edge.

Snakey

12:14 p.m. on November 15, 2015 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

ppine, one needs no luck to keep a stainless blade sharp.  I have plenty of stainless blades (I collect knives) I can easily keep very sharp.  My stainless knives range from ATS34, 440C, 420HC, 1.4116 stainless, Sandvik 12C27, Sandvik 14C28N, and other steels.  If these steels are properly heat treated/annealed and of a good blade geometry they will slice well, hold edges well, and will not be difficult to sharpen.

12:21 p.m. on November 15, 2015 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Snakey, 1095 carbon steel is easy to sharpen and keep sharp.  No reason to pay another to sharpen it.  In not much time at all you'll have paid others more than cost of the tools you'll need to do it yourself.  The serrations are a PIA though.  You'd be better served finding someone to show you how to sharpen than to sharpen your knife.

Regarding a knife for self defense -- that's another story all together.  Even if you win a knife fight you will be cut.  Perhaps badly.  The adage, lose and arm to save your life applies.  Knife fighting takes much training and a particular mindset.  I'd recommend pepper spray or a handgun before I'd ever recommend a knife for defense.   Training for proper use of a handgun is much easier than for the knife.

7:21 p.m. on November 15, 2015 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Okay you have a good sharping system and the steel is very easy to sharpen on that knife. What you may want to try is do about 10 strokes on one side and see if you build a bur on the otherside of the blade you'll be able to feel this with your finger once you have a bur switch sides and do the same amount of strokes and the bur should be gone now do some test cuts on some paper and see if it's to your liking if it's jagged and rough you may just need to take a leather belt and use the inside of the belt and strop a micro bur off think of a barber and a straight razor do that a few times and paper test again. Also I don't know what rods you have but course, med, and fine I would imagine are there I'd start with med then go to fine then to belt or your jeans pulled tight will work. Sharping is an art but once you get it you'll love to learn more ways to sharpen it really is rewarding! As for self protection this doesn't seem to be the place for it So I won't go into it.

5:40 a.m. on November 16, 2015 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

You can use a brown paper bag to strop.  Leather isn't a requirement.  Just ensure you don't twist the knife while stropping regardless of the strop. Keep the blade to strop angle the same through the stroke and at the end of the stroke lift the knife straight off the strop.

6:49 p.m. on February 2, 2016 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
425 forum posts

Snakey, be sure a double edged weapon is legal where you live.

Butchers sharpen a knife or two occasionally ;)

And keep in mind razor sharp isn't something that stays sharp when used.

10:43 a.m. on February 3, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

If you are going to use a knife you need to be able to sharpen it in the field.

I rounded river rock will work, but it is hard to get through gutting and skinning a deer say without sharpening.

I don't like stainless steel and own very few of them.

I have collected knives since elementary school.  My Dad has brought me knives from factories that he has visited, gun shows (several from the 1800s), and as far away as Africa. A sharp knife is universally valued in all cultures world wide.

10:43 a.m. on February 4, 2016 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

I just got a sharpener and it seems to work rather well.  I am still practicing with whetstones too. 

April 8, 2020
Quick Reply