Boot Repair Help

10:51 a.m. on December 20, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I have a pair of Asolo leather boots that have seen some heavy use over the last ten years. I don't use them much for backpacking Any more except really wet and cold trips, but regularly wear them for work several days a week. After two sole replacements and many leather treatments, I am trying to make them last another year or two. Any thoughts on repair of the inner lining that is starting to wear out would be much appreciated.
1220151042.jpg

1220151042b.jpg

10:11 a.m. on December 21, 2015 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,940 forum posts

Maybe you can cut out the rough spots and use contact cement to glue in some thin sheets of foam.

12:27 p.m. on December 21, 2015 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners that developed the same problem.  I found that the defect didn't affect the function of the boots in the least.  Perhaps a bit if Shoe-Goo or similar plastic product might close the gap (along with ppine's sheets of foam) if you are really concerned.

12:37 p.m. on December 21, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
693 forum posts

The best way would be to cover the liner with a soft glove leather (so comfortable!).

However, the easiest fix would be  to buy some high-quality sock liners in a size greater than you wear. Cut a dart where the center of the tongue would be, down a few inches to allow easy entry for the foot and to permit the sock liner to fit against the high boot sides. Soak the sock liner in a good fabric adhesive and then, wearing latex gloves, put your hand in the sock liner and slide it into the boot, pressing against all surfaces, thus bonding it to all the existing lining. Fold the excess sock liner over the top of the boot, to cover the foam that is showing.

10:53 p.m. on December 23, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

The 520 is a good boot. I've had two pairs. The liner doesn't look damaged in a way that would cause blisters so probably no need to do anything. My two cents though would be ditch the 520s for a pair of Scarpa SLs. 

2:56 p.m. on December 24, 2015 (EST)
164 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

After 10 years ...Grin.  Buy some new boots.

7:25 p.m. on December 24, 2015 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I'm doing the same thing with a pair of Scarpa SL ( bought new ones for work ) with the old ones I sealed the heel pocket with gorilla tape. Your body heat seals the tape really well. I use them on medium day trips. 

8:05 a.m. on December 26, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

From my perspective the best way is to tailor a cover from a soft leather which should cover the top from both sides.

9:16 a.m. on December 26, 2015 (EST)
295 reviewer rep
1,426 forum posts

The Asolo 520 may have been a good boot when they were made 10 years ago but as far as I can tell Asolo quality control has plunged into oblivion.  The 520s were my go-to winter backpacking boot for a year or two before this happened:

TRIP%20142%20617-L.jpg
This failure actually happened on a backpacking trip.

TRIP%20168%20186-L.jpg

And my usual non-winter boot is the Asolo Fugitive which I know are expendable but this is ridiculous---A brand new pair of Fugitives three months old and purchased in June 2015 get this blowout on a September trip.  Boggles the mind.

Solution?  Ran screaming from Asolos and got a pair of Zamberlan full leathers---

TRIP%20170%20011-L.jpg

8:13 a.m. on December 27, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Thanks for all the great advice folks. I knew you all would give me some options to consider. I'll see what works best. And post some pictures of the fix later.

Tipi...I almost replaced these old ones with a new pair of 520s a couple of years ago but heard similar complaints about the quality. I'll keep these around for work, but those Zamberlins look nice for winter trips. I tried them a couple of years ago but couldn't get the fit right. Too thin for my feet and no wide available. I'll have to try again if there is a wide size. Yours have goretex lining? I generally prefer no goretex if possible but that narrows down the choice.

10:34 a.m. on December 27, 2015 (EST)
295 reviewer rep
1,426 forum posts

My Zams are the Viox Plus GTX RR which is another way of saying goretex lined in the Wide (RR) size, perfect for my needs.  I just kept my time-tested Asolo fit (10 Wide) and used the same for my Zamberlan order and they fit very well and perhaps just a hair larger than the same size in Asolo.

8:51 p.m. on December 28, 2015 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,491 reviewer rep
447 forum posts

I found Asolo's quality went downhill after having my second and third pair of boots (5-10 years ago)... Not sure what happened there, but I changed over to Lowa. Rands peeled, soles separated much (much) too soon! My last pair also had one of the nylon shanks warp, which prevented both the forefoot & heel of the boot from sitting in a copacetic manner... Maddening when you paid $250+

9:56 p.m. on January 6, 2016 (EST)
RETAILER
13 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I have a pair of old rough out light Kastingers that the sole was near peeled off that Barge C made serviceable again 

Most separations (glued) that are caught early can re rehabbed with Barge

10:21 p.m. on January 18, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
678 forum posts

A boot repairman like Steve Komito in Estes Park, CO does all kinds of repairs.

October 15, 2019
Quick Reply