Laptop finger mouse pad repair?

5:48 p.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,340 forum posts

The finger mouse pad on my laptop has become so smooth its hard to get the pointer to move around the screen.Does anyone know a way I can rough it up so the pointer will cross the screen faster?

9:19 p.m. on February 16, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

you could try using some lite grit sandpaper? or maybe one of those rubber finger things that postal workers use, I'd say wireless mouse but I'm sure you thought of that or it doesn't meet your needs. 

7:15 a.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,340 forum posts

Thought about the sand paper , but the external mouse would not work for me, I use my laptop on my futon/bed the surface is too soft, I think to use a mouse.

Anyone else thing sand paper would be okay? Have also thought about some scotch tape across the finger pad?

11:10 a.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Maybe try a bit of vinegar on a cotton swab. I know you can use vinegar to prep a surface so paint bonds to it better. Or maybe a bit of abrasive cleaner. Rubbing compound for cars paint is another idea.

God bless

1:07 p.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

I respectfully suggest you search for a computer forum to ask this question. I understand that the surface of the touchpad has been worn smooth, but I have no idea if "roughing it up" will solve that problem and would be very hesitant to advise you to do things to your computer without direct knowledge and experience.

3:22 p.m. on February 17, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,278 forum posts

The mouse cursor movement setting may have changed, somehow, such that even large finger swipes barely move the cursor.  Look up cursor in your help text; there should be a hack for this problem.

I do not know why the surface smoothness of your mouse pad pad would be the source of this problem.  The pad works by sensing the electric charge of your skin's surface. When this symptom occurs with wireless mice it is usually due to low battery charge.  Perhaps your laptop's battery is on the wane? But otherwise It may be your mouse pad is discrepant, or the wires connecting it to the system have oxidized terminals.   

Ed    

May 26, 2019
Quick Reply