Internal frame backpack repair suggestions

12:46 p.m. on March 26, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

could anyone suggest a place/website that sells replacements for this accessory? They're completely dried out, cracking and breaking down. I'd prefer leather ones but any that look the same works ft me. Thank you in advance. 
image.jpg

image.jpg

6:14 p.m. on March 26, 2016 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
489 forum posts

Get a suitable piece of tanned leather and cut out replacements. Customize as you desire...  You could also do just about the same thing with securely stitched 1" flat webbing.

4:29 a.m. on March 28, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I replaced mine in past packs that had them , by making a rubber tire inner tube recycled , they last for ever, leather is good but need to be waterproofed to keep from also drying out.

Just take a old fashioned inner tube for a car our even a bicycle inner tube and make patterns of what you want to replace and make new ones.

In a pinch Duct/Duck tape makes excellent of the grid ones!

Great thing about repairing gear yourself? You are reinventing your pack. I made a pack once out of a hand woven basket... but thats off the idea here. 

Good luck on whatever you decide to do, Hey, maybe take pictures to show what you made later in another post...:)

8:05 a.m. on March 28, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Okay thank you. Out of curiosity is there anywhere you might know of that sells them already premade? 

8:14 a.m. on March 28, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I never thought to use a bicycle inner tube. That's actually a great Idea. I think I'll give that a try. I will definitely post pictures with my results! Thanks!

10:48 a.m. on March 28, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Or take them off and make your pack lighter.  Do you carry crampons often?

10:50 a.m. on March 30, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,505 forum posts

I hate those plastic lash points!  I replace them with leather.  Work with a shoe repair place.  Ask them for some leather and make the lash points yourself to save money; else have them fabricate the lash points.  The shoe place will have sewing machines that can handle sewing them onto your pack.  The single lash point cost me about $5 per patch to attach to the pack, when I made the lash point myself' the crampon lash point cost $8.

Ed

12:03 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A shoe repair guy is a great solution, but I would suggest buying a sewing awl and making them yourself. It would give you good experience and practice. Sewing awls are a handy bit of kit to have anyway, and they can save you a lot of money for not much trouble, and let you customize stuff to your own specs. With a bit of patience you can even handmake your own gear from scratch. For $20 and an old pair of leather boots from goodwill you can make the part you need and learn a new skill.

12:27 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Misneac.....got to agree with you. I personally never owned one but know several people who have and did all you said and more. 

12:38 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Campmor sells these patches. The square ones are #67780. The rectangular ones are #67782.

1:42 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A couple of recommendations; There use to be a store by the Narain's near the REI in Berkeley,CA, who carried all kind of parts and did all kinds of repairs.

You could just cruise your nearest Goodwill,or other thrift store, and keep an eye out for a used pack and just remove what you need.

Mario

9:04 a.m. on March 31, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Try Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (owfinc.com). They sell lots of different hardware for packs.

1:54 p.m. on May 27, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I would try Seattle Fabrics to replace those plastic lash tabs. They have both square and rectangular sizes. 

Hope this helps! 

7:10 p.m. on May 27, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
696 forum posts

I've got a couple of the rectangular leather ones you can have and also the smaller ones. I have used the Speedy Stitcher sewing awl to sew on that sort of thing in the past. Sews a neat lockstitch. Or a seamstress or gear repair shop with a heavy duty machine can do the job. Let me know.

PS - Lowe Alpine once sent me some replacements when mine deteriorated on one of their packs. Kelty also uses that type.

February 29, 2020
Quick Reply