Sportiva Trango Cube GTX ... maintenance

7:07 p.m. on June 10, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi everyone,

A bought a pair of Cubes a year or so ago ..... great pair of boots !!

They are my first pair of boots that are not full leather boots, ie, has a lot of synthetic components. What should I be using on them to maintain water proofness and to keep them in good condition ?? Can't seem to find anything on care and maintenance of synthetic boots.

Many thanks,

Matt

10:03 p.m. on June 10, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

Two main companies make appropriate products - NikWax and McNett both make and sell a variety of products to maintain synthetic, leather, and mixed boots, as well as clothing. They have been working pretty closely with the footwear and clothing manufacturers for years. There are better products for full leather boots. But for boots using synthetics, These two are the place to look. Plus, usually, the boot manufacturer (I know La Sportiva does this) has a recommended product that has been tested to work well with their boots.

5:10 p.m. on June 13, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,683 forum posts

When the Goretex in my mountaineering boots quit breathing I revived them by pouring hot water in them and allowing it to escape through the membrane.  It seems to have worked.

5:09 a.m. on June 14, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks very much for the replies Bill/Jeff.

Have gone and purchased the Nikwax product .... we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Matt

wildnaturenewzealand.co.nz

December 8, 2019
Quick Reply