Chestnut Snowshoes

11:24 a.m. on June 24, 2016 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
354 reviewer rep
147 forum posts

image.jpg

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me date these snowshoes made by the Chestnut Canoe Company.

I know that they made snowshoes for the war, but I'm not sure if the war was WWl or WWll.

The Chestnut Canoe Company goes back to 1900 and was able to stay open under the war measures act if they made snowshoes. 
image.jpg

12:16 p.m. on June 24, 2016 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,442 forum posts
Re: Chestnut snowshoes

Hi Paul, You might try referencing "When Chestnut was in Flower". My copy is packed away right now, but there might be some reference to the wartime work the Chestnut Bros. did.

2:46 p.m. on June 24, 2016 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
354 reviewer rep
147 forum posts

Thanks for that. I do have a copy in my library of the history of the Wood Strip Canoe that makes a small reference to the snowshoe making by the Chestnut canoe co. Out of Fredrickton N.B.

10:33 a.m. on June 25, 2016 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,442 forum posts

Both Roger McGregor's book and Ken Solway's book on Chestnut no doubt reference the snowshoe making side.

2:58 p.m. on June 25, 2016 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
354 reviewer rep
147 forum posts

I was able to find this on the web. But nothing before 1935. 

I have too many books on the go right now and our local library doesn't seem to have anything. ( shame being an important part of Canadian history )

I thought you might find this interesting .

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/5725852

image.png

image.png

10:11 a.m. on June 29, 2016 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to this question, but I just wanted to say what pretty snowshoes those are. How big are they?

8:59 a.m. on June 30, 2016 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,442 forum posts

Hi Alicia, the one with the extreme upturn is what they call the Ojibway and is similar to the Yukon pattern from Tubbs that I have. Its dimensions are 12 X 60 which is about what my Yukons are. The others like like common sizes for bear paws and Michigans without the up turn. More for flatter country and forests. I think that the reason the Ojibway is split at the front, is it is easier to do that thnt laminate and bend in two directions.

9:17 p.m. on June 30, 2016 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
354 reviewer rep
147 forum posts

image.jpg

They were also easier to repair and build

a couple of pairs I built last winter

8:47 a.m. on July 1, 2016 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

Thanks for the explanation, Erich.

Wow, awesome work, Paul! I am impressed.

10:17 a.m. on July 1, 2016 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,442 forum posts

Sorry about the typos. I meant that it is easier to do a two piece frame than do a compound bend by laminating and doing an up turn at the same time.

9:11 p.m. on July 1, 2016 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
383 forum posts

Beautiful shoes indeed, wow.

February 18, 2020
Quick Reply