Silnylon as a Tent Floor Material?

10:47 a.m. on July 11, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
696 forum posts

Greetings All - I have been wondering how Silnylon compares to polyurethane with regard to water proofness as a tent floor fabric? Especially when water pools a bit between the ground sheet and floor and you are kneeling. Body weight concentrated in a small spot. Any thoughts?

1:07 p.m. on July 11, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I have used silnylon tent floors in my Tarptent Squall 2 (retired) and my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (active duty).  I have noticed that both will seep water through when kneeling on wet ground.  I tend to use a 2mil plastic ground sheet under my tents to minimize this problem.

10:24 a.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
696 forum posts

Thanks Mike, thought that might be the case!

10:30 a.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

I use a silnylon footprint from some miscellaneous tent under my tarp.  There is plenty of separation between the edge of the tarp and the foot print. The silnylon is holding up fine. I do not see the advantage of carrying anything to go under a tent floor. They add weight and create potential wet spots.  People seem to commonly use a tarp larger than a tent which just allows the water to run down the tent onto the tarp and in the tent.

11:30 a.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,842 reviewer rep
1,495 forum posts

My silnylon tent floor has that issue as well. Both when used without a ground sheet or when water gets on the sheet. It doesn't seem to be a problem on just moist or wet ground...only noticed it in the rare circumstance that I have to camp in a wetter area like arriving after dark in a storm and not being able to see a low spot. I still use a piece of tyvec cut well inside the tent floor so nothing can run onto it. This avoids the problem for the most part.

Ppine. ..I use the ground sheet to lengthen my tent life on my lightweight 3 season tent. Still weighs less than most other tents even with the sheet. However if I know the campsites I will be using and forest floor composition I sometimes leave it behind. The less separating me from a soft bed of leaves, the better!

2:10 p.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

pinesap...I just recently did a review of a sil-nylon tent that you might want to see: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/nemo/hornet-2p/#review35879

The floor and fly were somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 denier! Unless I expected hard-rain my whole trip (at which point nearly all my choices of gear change) I would not hesitate to use the tent as long as I was also free to choose a site with ample soft duff/sand/gravel to keep the floor high and dry (also warm) and good tree cover.

5:14 a.m. on August 28, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

I have a Bear Paws inner for my Trailstar. It has a silnylon floor. Last year in Yellowstone we unknowingly pitched at dusk in a depression and it rained all night. Obviously much pooling under the floor. There was some wetness on my daughters side, but not so much on mine. I wondered at the time if it was more a condensation issue as she was directly on the ground while I was on a  NeoAir. I wish I had done further investigation, but we were in a hurry to escape the next morning  in in between the cloudbursts. Considering the volume of water that came down and we could feel it pooling underneath and we were not soaked to the bone makes me glad we took the time to put it up. Thats my only experience with it.

Happy Trails!

7:22 a.m. on September 20, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
696 forum posts

Thanks all-

February 22, 2020
Quick Reply