cleaning North Face Base Camp duffel?

10:13 p.m. on September 14, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi all,

Lived out of one of the larger sizes for three weeks, didn't smell but figured it was hiding a lot of dirt. Went ahead and washed (soaked...) in the bathtub with some Nikwax TechWash, dried on my balcony (in dry climate). Brought it in for the night.

Went to put it away this afternoon, and it smells musty. Turned it inside out and found a few pinpricks of orange, must be a bit of mildew.

So, options now? I'm seeing some people saying they've put them in the washing machine, though instructions inside the bag say to just spot wash...

4:04 p.m. on October 7, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,318 reviewer rep
2,319 forum posts

i use a power washer on a lower pressure setting for duffels and backpacks.   make sure the nozzle isn't too narrow and leave enough distance.  a power washer can strip paint or stain off of wood if the stream is too focused or the pressure is too high.   works extremely well on dirt, mildew, pine sap, you name it.  not the preferred way to clean some of the lighter weight pack fabrics, but the base camps are highly durable.  

because the base camp duffels are waterproof or highly water resistant, let it hang dry for several hours, turn it inside out, then let it hang dry inside out too.  

10:40 p.m. on October 8, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Mirazyme. Dillute a couple capfuls in a bucket of water, soak the duffel for a bit, and then hang it dry.

9:59 a.m. on October 11, 2016 (EDT)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Soak it in vinegar/water.  Then wash it in vinegar/soap.  Seriously.

February 28, 2020
Quick Reply