Dryer or Line for Wool Socks

3:36 p.m. on October 28, 2016 (EDT)
2,000 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Like most all of my outdoor gear, I've always line dried my wool socks inside with a fan.  I've noticed they flatten out and wear faster than the manufacturers stated lifespans, and it got me thinking...

WigWam and Smartwool recommend drying the socks in a dryer on low heat.  Does this help the socks regain their "loft," or is it a convenience thing?  Thoughts?

7:01 a.m. on October 29, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

I haven't notice much difference between machine drying and hanging them out to dry, as far as fluffy loft or wear goes, assuming you don't dry them with excessive heat.  But if you over heat wool it will shrink and transform toward being like felt.

Ed

7:56 a.m. on October 29, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,842 reviewer rep
1,496 forum posts

Dryer for me but like Ed says, I don't overheat or dry too long. Not sure if it helps in other ways...I do it for convenience . 

8:29 a.m. on October 29, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,215 reviewer rep
1,530 forum posts

Our dryer has an ultra low setting that is great for wool. I do line dry to get some sunshine on the socks after particularly wet and smelly trips. It seems to neutralize any lingering deathstench that a gentle washing might not have removed.

9:03 a.m. on October 29, 2016 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

I line dry

11:45 a.m. on October 29, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,960 forum posts

Shirts I hang dry but my socks I put in the dryer lowest setting..I don't see any issue with loft..

8:56 a.m. on October 30, 2016 (EDT)
2,000 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Interesting, 2 line dries to 3 machine dries.  I have two pair of WigWam socks I'm sending back for replacements.  I think over the next year I'll split trail time in them, one pair I'll line dry and one pair machine dry, see if there's any difference at the end of the year.  Here are 2 size large, one brand new on the left and one year and a half old on the right, maybe 300 miles on the old?  
IMG_2795.jpg

11:05 a.m. on October 31, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Being 90% of the time I am washing and drying my wool socks I am outdoors, I hang them on my tent at night and they dry overnight. I rarely am in town, but even still I still dry them hanging on a line in my room. They tend to shrink a bit every time they are dried in a dryer. 

10:03 a.m. on November 1, 2016 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
196 forum posts

In the dryer, but wash and dry inside out, and then definitely not too much heat.  If they are a touch damp inside when they come out, all the better and let them air dry the remainder. 

11:12 a.m. on November 2, 2016 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

I machine dry with no heat for one cycle then hang them up in the laundry room.

February 24, 2020
Quick Reply