Converting...

5:22 p.m. on March 7, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Hello! I have an old Walrus Armadillo tent that I love and which has seen many nights of use.

It has a rain fly with a PU coating on the underside. Well, had. It was leaking in multiple places due to the seam tape falling off after 20-something years of use. So I took it off, and proceeded to strip the rest of it using alternating baths of dilluted ammonia and oxyclean with brushing inbetween.

So the coating is fully gone now. Completely bare nylon, I'm led to believe. 

I planned to recoat the underside with a few coats of dilluted shoe goo (same as seam grip but cheaper) but now I'm thinking "Why not just paint pure dilluted silicone on top?"

Seems like the coating would last longer, and there would be less water re-gain. Anyone try this? Anyone know exactly why I shouldn't do this?

7:16 p.m. on March 7, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

My Eureka alpinelite's rainfly started getting sticky a couple of years ago. I washed it in a tub with some rubbing alcohol and brushed it with a soft scrub brush. Took about 3 tries but I got all of the old seam sealer and DWR  off. Then I set it up in the basement inside out over the frame. Seam sealer all of the seams. After that dried I applied several coats of Starbrites waterproof with PTEF. Used a brush and coated it inside and out. It was a little work and took a couple of weeks for the whole process but it has held up to a thorough water hose test. And a very rainy three day trip in the Smokies.

7:24 p.m. on March 7, 2017 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I am probably about to sound like a infomercial. But Flexseal it!

I actually did just this with an old tent fly. It came out great. I sprayed a light coating of flexseal on, making two passes over each area before it had a chance to dry.

I only used this tent for car camping so I wasn't too concerned with making it a little heavier.

I practiced on a cheap section of nylon first to get the application technique just right.

3:53 p.m. on March 14, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Yeah flexseal is PU...

I found a thread over at hammockforums where a few folks did successfully treat uncoated nylon with a dilluted mixture of silicone. 

So I'm gonna give it a go, unless someone tells me that a nylon fabric with a factory-applied PU coating which has been completely removed still has some residual compound remaining which will negatively affect the application of silicone.

February 20, 2020
Quick Reply