Old, Ineffective Tent Sure?

8:49 a.m. on June 22, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
696 forum posts

After lots of fabric preparation, today I  began the interior floor and sidewalls recoating on my Ring Oval Intention. I'm using McNett Tent Sure and things were going well until I ran out of the liquid portion and discovered about an inch of pasty, partially solidified goo on the bottom of the bottle. This despite a long initial and regular shaking throughout the application. My first thought was the urethane had at least partially separated from the liquid and what I used although milky looking was a diluted solution that would possibly be not as waterproof. I called McNett and the rep was unsure what the effect would be but thought that it would at least give some waterproofness. Wonderful to learn! More likely he thought that since it was an 8 ounce bottle with a 2 inch wide foam brush which they don't market any longer, the urethane had begun to set up in the bottle and it was old coating I bought, ie. over 2 years old. I just opened a 2nd bottle purchased at the same time and found the same thing. Anyway, I'm unsure whether I used a weakened product with less urethane or that the coating was aging and strangely began to harden in the bottle beginning at the bottom? Any thoughts?

7:03 p.m. on June 22, 2017 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,503 forum posts

I know you won't like my opinion, but rehabilitating coated fabrics is time consuming, difficult, and often resulting in disappointment.  And you project seems to be living up to this generalization.  I'd just retire the old tent and get a new one, especially since several tent makers' customer service policies will replace delaminated rain flies and the such, even when well past warranty expiration dates.

Ed

11:27 p.m. on June 23, 2017 (EDT)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Sounds like it is just old and has seperated. If the opening of the bottle is big enough, you can get something down to the bottom and stir it up if it hasn't hardened too much. I used Starbrite to re coat my Eureka alpinelite and it has held up well. Here's a link to the website.http://www.starbrite.com/item/waterproofing-with-ptef

4:23 a.m. on June 24, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,419 forum posts

How much of the tent did you get done with that one bottle? So my guess is, and this is just a guess, at this point..............but I would say that most if not all of the urethane settled out of the mix. I would guess that most of what you applied was water and that you have very little real water protection. But the only way to know is to get in the tent and have some one take a hose end sprayer and spray the tent at different strengths for reasonable amounts of time and see what happens. If that goes well then run water under the floor of the tent with some weight in the tent and see if it soaks thru/wet's out. I've finally go all the Urethane of the fly of my OI and am now working on getting the flaking seam sealer of the fly. The tent floor is another story and I had to give it up for a while as it'll take some more washing and scrubbing to get the Urethane of it before I start the recoating process.

February 28, 2020
Quick Reply