The North Face warranty claim

10:13 a.m. on June 21, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,545 reviewer rep
2,159 forum posts

daughter's backpack had a shoulder strap pull away from the pack bag after one year, at the top. brought it to a North Face store and did paperwork end of April. A follow up call recently revealed:

1. wasn't logged in at North Face until May 10.

2. no word from North Face as of yesterday.

3. call yesterday revealed they plan to repair (presumably sewing the shoulder strap back on).

4. no ETA on when this will get done. 'a few weeks' was about as close as i could get.

the people in the store and on the phone were perfectly polite. That a relatively simple repair might take more than eight weeks seems overly long and inefficient. In my experience, other companies (gregory, osprey, mountain hardwear) take 2-6 weeks. 

I'm interested to see whether they actually repair this or replace it. it's at a point of fairly significant stress, so if it is not repaired properly, it could easily fail again. 

12:17 a.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

Sorry to hear this. Seems The North Face has decreased its warranty status. I bought a pair of first generation Gore-Tex rain pants in 1979 in Anchorage and in 1996 the pants leaked at the seam. I contacted TNF and they replaced the pants via FedEx with a brand new pair.

And also in 79 I had bought a TNF VE24 tent, I was using it in February 1980 and had a four foot snow fall crush the tent. The warranty was only for 2 feet, but I called TNF and told them I was living in my tent in Yosemite. They replaced both the poles and rain fly in a couple days

11:31 a.m. on July 2, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,397 forum posts

So, My experience with North Face Warranty was just a few months back.  One of my TNF Sleeve Oval Intention tents door zippers gave it up after 40 years of use and one of the clear windows on a VE-25 fly was cloudy/brittle when I took it out of it's container.  As I live close to Seattle I took them to a TNF store, the downtown store, where they determined that they were both most likely warranty issues.  I had them both back in less than three weeks along some extra foam spacers that many of the older TNF tents used to use as spacers between the tent body and the fly.

So, what I think is going on here is that we know that TNF outsources all, and I mean all of it's product line so that they do not have any of their own sewing facilities in this country.  What this means to me is that they have to contract out all of their warranty work to a, or more than one repair company, here in the States.  I sent mine in during the off season, while it sounds like you took/sent your warranty repair in during the very worst time of the year...........the dreaded on season when it comes to repairs anyway.  It's my guess that is why your wait will be so long to get your backpack back. 

9:59 a.m. on July 9, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,545 reviewer rep
2,159 forum posts

i received notice that the backpack is on its way by fedex. coming from California. 

1:11 a.m. on July 14, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,401 reviewer rep
97 forum posts

Its good to hear your pack is on its way back from TNF.  I think their repair center is in Alameda CA.  I've had nothing but good experiences with equipment repairs at TNF from zipper replacements to even them giving me a new down bag because the loft just wasn't there anymore in a down bag I took into then for cleaning when they used to offer that service.  Even though they are now not a stand alone company and are part of VF Corporation, its nice to see that they have been able to maintain some of the things that have made them such a great company for so many years.

2:29 p.m. on July 16, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,397 forum posts

Hey Andrew,

I'm also glad to hear that your pack is on it's way. After calling TNF warranty center................I do have to correct myself and say that TNF does employ it's own staff, to sew and fix equipment, at it's warranty center in Alameda.........rather than farming out their warranty work to a independent repair center.  They also did indicate that warranty service and repairs will be much quicker in the off season, late fall thru winters end, rather than the on season of good weather.

March 21, 2019
Quick Reply