have access to dick's and rei in the sf bay area 

have the sealer all ready.

I've got a 3-3 man tent 

who made it was able to able to get me some info on it

thanks for the intel

5:54 p.m. on June 28, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,503 forum posts

There are several approaches to killing mold/mildew on tents, ranging from bleach, to disinfectants used in restaurant or home baby nurseries, other chemical products, to freezing or cooking your tent.  The problem is spores and cysts can be very difficult to totally eradicate, so the problem will recur.  Additionally killing the critters does not address the underlying circumstances that made this an issue.   Lastly even if you kill of the molds, the smell will still linger, and that is even harder to address.

Ed

9:56 a.m. on June 29, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
707 forum posts

Sunlight, baking soda, and continual vigilance.  Sunlight will kill mold and spores...but ti will also degrade some of the synthetic materials used in tents.  Still, a full day in sunlight might well take care of most of the mold.  But that doesn't remove the smell, which often comes from mold  interacting with any form of chlorine, including what is in many cleaners--and obviously in bleach.  After you clean the tent, wash it in baking soda to absorb extra odors and moisture.  Lots of sunlight,.  And good luck.  We have an old North Face tent that has proven impervious to all of this...

1:22 p.m. on June 29, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

A mild solution of borax will kill the fungus. If your tent is sil nylon it should just wipe right off. Other materials can be more stubborn.. 

4:11 a.m. on July 30, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,419 forum posts

The way I usually attack the mold issue is to set the tent/fly out in the sun with the fly not on the tent, if the sun is available, and let them both be fully exposed to the full sun for a day or two.   I then turn the tent in and fly inside out and repeat. I then wash the tent/fly, separately,  in the largest front load washer available using a lite detergent such as Woolite, Downey, or Ivory Snow in cold water.  Line dry or set up the tent/fly to dry thoroughly .  I follow that with a dip in a strong white vinegar/cold water solution and let it sit for a bit so it can soak thoroughly, usually no longer than ten minutes.  I then immediately run the tent/fly, separately, through the front load washer with no soap/detergent on cold water setting to totally rinse off the vinegar solution.  I then set the tent/fly up to completely dry.  After a day or two of being set up I soak the tent/fly in McNett's MiraZyme.  Line dry or set tent/fly up to dry and then store in as open a fashion as possible.  Do not wash the tent after using McNett's MiraZyme.  I have found great success with this method.

February 28, 2020
Quick Reply