lubicating waterproof zippers

12:16 a.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,277 forum posts

I have some clothing and gear articles that use those water proof zippers that don't require a storm flap covering them to do the job.  These zippers have a rubber-like membrane that seals the interface between the zipper teeth.

My understanding is these zippers should be lubricated periodically, to keep the membrane supple and functional as a water barrier.  Does anyone know what lubricant to use on this kind of zipper?

Ed

12:06 p.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,404 forum posts

Wow, now there's a question that had me entirely stumped.......

I don't think I have a single piece of equipment with a water proof zipper. I know that divers use DUI® ZipStick® on their gear and those zipper need to not fail on dry suits in high pressure situations.

With that being said, I most certainly would contact the make of the item and see what they recommend. Would not want to use something that would degrade the rubber like coating or gum up at cold temperatures. Nor does one want something that will be sticky and collect grit.

5:28 p.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,569 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I was considering waterproofing an old pack to see if I could dispense with a pack liner or cover, and was looking at this for the zippers... Haven't used it yet though

http://www.beeskneeszipperwax.com/

9:11 p.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,404 forum posts

I was considering waterproofing an old pack to see if I could dispense with a pack liner or cover, and was looking at this for the zippers... Haven't used it yet though

http://www.beeskneeszipperwax.com/

Interesting, I can't imagine that one could coat a non-waterproof zipper at home with anything and make it waterproof, but I guess you don't know till you try it. I would guess that is the reason that they make more expensive waterproof zippers.

I had a friend that would just dip anything he wanted to be waterproof in Thompson's WaterSeal. He'd then hang it out in a shed till it did not stink. He always like the results. He did that once with a pair of leather hiking boots. I guess his feet did not sweat much as he was really happy with those boots.

9:44 p.m. on August 25, 2018 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Gear Aid makes a waterproof zipper lubricant.

4:46 a.m. on August 26, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,277 forum posts

JRinGeorgia said:

Gear Aid makes a waterproof zipper lubricant.

Yes, JR, I believe two of their silicone luybricants are candidates.  I have an inquiry posted with HyperLite, as they use this kind of zipper on their tents.

Thanks all, for the recommendations.

Ed

May 24, 2019
Quick Reply