My dog peed on my tent!

1:16 p.m. on April 24, 2019 (EDT)
247 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

So I was back yard camping, and I noticed when I was packing my tent up yesterday that my dog peed on the tent in a couple spots. Little bastard is cute as heck but also the bane of my existence sometimes. Anyways....

Was just wondering if it could pose an animal scent problem next time I'm in the backcountry? I used a little gentle natural cleaner and a rag to wipe at the worst of it. 

Thanks!

8:17 p.m. on April 24, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
706 forum posts

My guess?  Most wild animals may give it a slightly wider berth, now that it has your dog's scent on it.  You may have come up with a great new technique!

8:18 p.m. on April 24, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,419 forum posts

If that happened to one of my tents, which it did...........I would hand wash the whole tent in lukewarm water in a large tube using Woolite or Ivory Snow.  Then rinse really well, and if you want to go the full mile give it a soak in a product such as McNett's MIRAZYME.

My experience is that one does not want to store a tent with any biological material on it.  I had a tent that a dog pee'ed on and it had the very worst tent I'd ever smelled.  After a wash and soak in MIRAZYME I could not smell anything at all from that tent.

1:42 a.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Balzaccom's got it, I think. Your dog's urine, left alone, would only better help you determine between habituated and wild animals.

I figure your cleaning method is absolutely sufficient, though the Mirazyme treatment Apeman suggests couldn't hurt.

10:44 a.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
247 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Thanks all. The urine was definitely dry on the tent before I went and scrubbed it off. Fingers crossed that this will be sufficient, but I will give it a good check-out in a few weeks next time I pull it out to use it, and should it still be a bit funky, I'll grab me some mirazyme. 

I was more worried about attracting animals as opposed to warding them off, so.... maybe that is an added benefit. :)

4:10 p.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

I usually pee around my tent instead of on it.  Your dog has the right idea.  Marking your territory.  

9:48 p.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
390 forum posts

Another dog might be prone to pee on the same spot of the tent.

9:56 p.m. on April 25, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

I like people that understand how wild animals think.  Every time a pack of howling coyotes gets near me and my dog they give us a wide berth.  One wiff of human and domesticated dog and they change course.

1:18 p.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,294 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

Ppine- that all depends on how domesticated the coyotes have become! The local ones here have now taken to snatching smaller sized dogs right out of backyards. Out in the backcountry, yes, they generally don’t want any confrontation, within urban areas they are getting bolder and bolder  

10:07 a.m. on April 30, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

I don't backpack in urban areas.  Wild coyotes are more predictable. I don't hike behind the house without bringing a revolver.  Our local coyotes have tried to ambush my dog a couple of times.  People are losing dogs while they are on a leash. 

3:28 p.m. on May 5, 2019 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

On the subject of urine, I find by peeing around my tent that I have less to no animals getting into my tent for any reason. I have used the same tent now for 12+ years and although I know I should'nt I store food or eat in my tent causing smells that could attract animals, but by urinating around my tent aaaat least 10 feet away, that all animals stay away, even the rodents that are used to getting into tents.

10:39 a.m. on May 17, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Listen to Gary., 

12:00 p.m. on May 18, 2019 (EDT)
295 reviewer rep
1,436 forum posts

I was out in the mountains of NC and this bastardo hunting dog swung around my pack and the little Retardant peed on my pack!!  These hunting curs are a real pest.

TRIP-170-147-XL.jpg

10:09 a.m. on May 20, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

When my dogs go outside the fence in our yard, they make the rounds and piss on all the coyote urine all over the place.  

Domesticated dogs have retained plenty of instincts about how to behave as members of a pack.  If a dog peed on my pack, I would take that as a territorial sign and would not be happy about it.  The trick is to go where there are no other dogs around. 

I was deer hunting with my Dad in Virginia about 1960, and we got permission to hunt some private land.  The land owner warned us about a pack of wild dogs that were roaming the country side and had attacked some people.  That was a scary thought for a kid and I will never forget it. 

February 22, 2020
Quick Reply