How to glue backpack

5:46 a.m. on August 11, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi all,

I just got a sweet retro Lowe Alpine Netherworld 90 for twenty bucks, but the zippers were corroded on the top flap. After I tried to soak them in vinegar, it worked but the zippers came of the track. I then cut out the zippers, and decided I have plenty of space and don't need that one pocket that was on the top flap. However, I've tried everything I have on hand to glue it shut but nothing works. I tried super glue, hot glue, gorilla glue. It is some weird nylon fabric, like the inside of the rip-stop nylon, and has some sort of waterproofing, very thin, rubber-like material. Really would rather not sew it and want to find a way to simply glue it without having to heat weld it. Anyone else face a problem with glueing nylon and what did you use that worked? Or any ideas in general? Thanks.

10:34 a.m. on August 11, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Sew it with a big needle and artificial sinew.  It is strong and easy to work with.  It will take 5 minutes and never come apart. 

3:15 a.m. on August 12, 2019 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Best fabric glue I've ever used is Barge Cement. I can't imagine it wouldn't seal nylon.

2:22 p.m. on August 12, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,419 forum posts

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Trailspace.  I would try "rubber, contact cement", which is probably much like barge cement.  I glued my the roof of my house together using contact cement 15 years ago, though I must say it is not a nylon roof, and it has held without fault ever since.

5:11 p.m. on August 12, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

A good hand stitching needle and nylon upholstery thread with a good backstitch is a backpacker’s best friend. There are both in my little FAF/repair kit and they have been used in the field.That method works.

Barge cement is outstanding but be careful not to get it all over the place.

Kenyon repair tape or Tenacious tape work well for areas that won’t be stressed much. I have a 7 year old repair on a down jacket that is still looking good.

9:29 p.m. on August 12, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,505 forum posts

Alternatively you can take the pack to a shoe/luggage repair shop and have a new zipper sewn on for a reasonable price.

Ed

6:13 a.m. on August 13, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi Apeman, 

Rubber cement. That is what my gut has been telling me. It is a fairly rubber like material. If that doesn't work, I'll try some PVC glue.

3:28 p.m. on August 14, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,842 reviewer rep
1,497 forum posts

I second or third the Barge Cement recommendation. It was the only glue that worked back in the day on fabric patches glued to leather vests for a father-son organization I was involved in and held up to the flexibility tests of 6-10 year olds running round with that on. I think it fits the rubber cement category.  Good luck! 

February 29, 2020
Quick Reply