Waterproofing inside of backpack

3:29 p.m. on October 22, 2019 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Is there a product I can use to re-waterproof the inside of my backpack? The sealant that is inside now has been peeling off for months.

4:46 p.m. on October 22, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,494 forum posts

There are such products, but they are tedious to apply, mostly due to the necessary prep work.  Furthermore you really can't get a lasting seal in seams, since the forces of gear shifting about exerts considerable force  from many directions on these stress points, causing the WP coating to delaminate. 

I just resort to stowing gear in large plastic bags, or better yet, cover my pack with a  large 3 mil trash can liner bag.  The large bag is the most effective protection I have ever used, better than the OEM water proof coatings and expensive pack covers. When it comes time to cover up, I disconnect the top end of the pack straps, roll the bag over my pack, pop holes in the bag where the straps will pass through to attach to the pack, reattach the straps and I am good to go. The bit regarding detaching and reattaching the shoulder straps is a minnor inconvenience for the quality of protection you get from the system.  My packed gear never gets wet from falling rain or snow.  You will still need to use dry sacks for steam crossing immersions, however, but that is true for practically all the other alternatives.  If you get a hole in the bag, just duct tape the hole(s).  Retire worn bags as needed.  I found this rain system requires a slight change in how I pack.  Normally I place items needed during the hike at the top of my pack or in the side and back pockets.  But since the open end of the bag down is at the bottom end of the pack, I pack items needing easy access at the bottom of my pack or in the lower side pockets, so I don't have to completely uncover the pack for access.

Ed

11:34 a.m. on October 23, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Read Ed's post. 

It is possible to get some really strong plastic bags from canoe equipment companies like Duluth Pack in MN.  I like contractor plastic bags to cover the pack.  Sleeping bag gets its own plastic bag. 

9:15 a.m. on October 25, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,960 forum posts

What about a compacter bag to line your backpack and contents

4:22 p.m. on October 25, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

That's what the Dulut Pack bags are desinged to do. 

10:15 p.m. on November 24, 2019 (EST)
105 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Gary,

I’m in the same boat right now. Spent the better part of today completely disassembling two older (22+ years) backpacks and washing them in Nikwax Tech Wash as a first step in trying to get them back up and running after too many years hung in the workshop.

One is my trusty old Dana Designs ArcLight Direct. The other is an Osprey Zephyr. I noticed both packs had a funky odor coming from them when I took them down off their hangers. (No, there weren’t any creatures that died in them or nasty, forgotten items left behind from past trips) I also noticed the inside panels of both packs were starting to peel/delaminate. Evidently, the source of the smell is the polyurethane coating on the interior lining of the panels breaking down.

After much research, I am still not 100 percent sure what method I will use to reapply some sort of PU or waterproof coating. I do plan on trying to strip off all of the peeling stuff on the Osprey, as it is by far the worse of the two. The Dana pack just has some small areas that seem slightly degraded...and others that appear weathered more than actually peeling.

I have both disassembled packs still drying now and will see how they are tomorrow. I will say the Tech Wash did the trick for getting the smell out. I may try Nikwax Tent and Gear Solar Proof spray once I strip away all the peeling remnants and see if that’ll work. Both packs are worth the time and effort to try and save, as they were both made by hand in Bozeman, MT and Dolores, CO respectively. The craftsmanship on the Dana is especially impressive, with the chalk marks denoting size and model etc still visible upon disassembly. (I also recall it had a paper/cardboard tag attached when I purchased it that had the person‘s name and the date of completion handwritten on it!!)

I’ll post an update once I get to phase II of this project!

3:12 p.m. on November 25, 2019 (EST)
105 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Stripping the Osprey, although tedious and time-consuming, as others have said elsewhere, was made a tad easier with a brush attached to a drill & some rubbing alcohol.

The edges and corners were done by hand with a small brush and a t-shirt.

Cordless vacuum came in handy throughout the process. Now I just need to figure out what to replace the PU coating with!

Also, I should point out that the smell was completely eliminated by using Gear Aid Revivex Odor Eliminator after all the old coating was stripped out.

984A8408-25A4-45A5-9697-1C81DA586E8D.jpg

4FCC797F-9D01-4F1B-9C81-3CEBC1875545.jpg

C200301D-7FBB-4922-845F-F589A2CED5B9.jpg

A71D8ECA-F875-47C7-B24E-5C03E13613E0.jpg

86D39DF1-7230-4D1B-9C55-9EDFA87F781B.jpg

8:54 a.m. on November 26, 2019 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

All coatings delaminate with time.  Just strip the gunk off and continue to use the pack.  Waterproofing is best assured by bundling individual items securely.

4:58 p.m. on December 5, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I use plastic bags for items that need a tight seal. 

12:59 p.m. on December 24, 2019 (EST)
105 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

The Osprey has since been passed on to someone who needed a pack. Hope it provides him with many years of enjoyable time on the trail!

February 21, 2020
Quick Reply