Open main menu

Arc'teryx Naos 70 Hip Belt Repair

Hey folks! I'm looking for repair advise. I bought a Arc'teryx Naos 70 off of marketplace for $120. It was a little rougher on inspection than in the listing pictures, but seemed very functional. When I made it home, I loosened all the straps and the waist belt popped off. The main part of the pack is like a dry bag and there is no stiching connecting the waste belt- it appears to be only adhesive. With the abuse a waist belt takes, do you think this is repairable? Does anyone have experience with using adhesive on dry bags?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Caleb

1611686902725177554523494941312.jpg
caption

Last question. When I inspected the bag before buying, I filled it with air and listened for leaks. There was a leak at the port for a hydration tube. This was long before I discovered the waist belt problem. I don't plan to take my backpack through a lake necessarily, but I do want to be sealed effectively so that I could function like a dry bag if needed. Any tips on adhering a plastic port onto dry bag material? This is similar to a sleeping pad valve.

16116878038081022980814008931037.jpg
180° separation on the hydration tube port

16116877216481836459323847347441.jpg
caption

I was faced with the problem of keeping pack contents dry while worlking at Channel Islands National Park.  Gear was often transported on open decks, subject to heavy spray and possible dunking.  I packed my gear in a backpack, which I then inserted into a dry bag, one with backpack straps and a foldable closure.  Critical items, like sleeping bags and food, were wrapped in plastic.

I would not recommend  stretching the utility of a backpack too far.  Evidently the Naos 70 is no longer offered..   I wonder why?

It's been described as minimalist because it has no side pouches at all. There are no particular places for bottles. The newer, comparable version has more pockets. It's around $800 too, by the way. 

I ended up getting the pack for $40 because the seller was very honest and made allowance for repair when I told him the cost estimate from REI's partner Rainy Pass, who seem really great to work with. Still, I plan to try HH44 vynal repair myself before mailing the pack off to Washington. I have a friend who builds PVC flood barriers for the government who uses HH44 for his repair kits. The PVC is similar to bouncy house material, for a comparison.

I seem to have found a solution, but wanted to share in case this might help someone else working with a dry bag or one of these style Arc'teryx backpacks. 

Me thinks there is no such thing as durable water barrier textiles, in the context of camping gear, especially packs.  IMO you should just take that pack to a luggage/shoe repair shop, have them sew that belt back on, and DIY seal the seam with a vinyl adhesive.  Its cheap and can be fixed by yourself if it needs to be resealed.

As for the scam called marketing water proof gear:
All tents eventually leak, as well as packs, pack covers, dry sacks, and rain wear that utilize coated or treated fabrics.  Dyneema, vinyl (which are not fabrics), and similar materials don't leak, but they are susceptible to punctures and readily abrade if they rub against rocks or tree branches.  And as rain wear they don't breathe at all.  I prefer gore-tex rain wear, but find it, too, starts leaking after a few seasons, with both seams and the membrane itself failing in the shoulder area due to wear and tear under pack straps. 

I really don't care for the expense gore-tex gear, but will not compromise performance in my rain wear, as hypothermia is a real hazard in the wilderness.  Thus I suffer the financial commitment to new rain wear every few years.  Likewise I was replacing tents on a somewhat less frequent basis, due to the rain fly degrading, until I went with a dyneema pyramid tarp.  But when it comes to protecting gear in my pack, I found the humble, large, trash bag over my pack to be the most effective, lightest and cheapest solution.  Holes in the trash bag are easily patched in the field with duct tape and you can carry a back up, if you think that is necessary, with little weight/bulk consequences; and can retire and replace it with no financial hardship.  Unlike plastic bags used in the pack technique, your kit doesn't end up gaining weight in a rainstorm, due to the pack itself getting sodden.

DSCN0053.jpg
caption

It rained for hours but only my boots and shins got wet.  The wind and cold did eventually force me to don my hard shell rain wear, however.  No purpose specified pack cover is large enough for my gear hauler, and no pack cover is cheaper, lighter, and more waterproof than the humble, large trash bag.

Ed

-

Thanks for the replies. I HH44 has worked for the hip belt so far, but not the shoulder straps, which have recently delaminated. I love this pack, but it has really let me down. I plan to have the straps stitched on, as @whomeworry suggested.

October 16, 2021
Quick Reply