Nemo Veda

7:36 p.m. on January 21, 2014 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Been doing to some research on a new tent.  I'm leaning towards the hiking pole concepts that are out there.  I know Nemo has one out, Meta?  Looks like being replaced by the Veda?  I guess sometime this spring (not soon enough) it will be out for sale.  Just looking for some feedback from any users of this hiking pole, low weight tents that are out there.  Appears condensation has been an issue depending on the reviewer.  The Veda writeups says they are using some new material now to address these issues.  Seems like the way to go.  Cant find one negative review on these type of shelters other than the condensation issues.  To get a really good tent and light weight looks like a no brainer.  Wont be summiting Everest any time soon but even the winter camping write ups dont seem all that bad either with these types of shelters.  

7:54 p.m. on January 21, 2014 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I have a Nemo Meta 2P. Its a good solid tent, though I rarely use it nowadays since i switched to a hammock set up.

Condensation can be an issue with ANY single wall tent. It depends on the weather, the time of year, temperature, and the actual location you set up the tent. Bottom line is it happens in the right conditions, best solution is to use a small pack towel to wipe down the tent walls right when you wake up.

The ONE negative I have is if you cant get all of your main corner stakes and the tension stakes in for the trekking poles you can have some issues. I was setting my nemo up on a semi exposed area atop west mtn in NY with about 2ft of snow on the ground, winds were howling. And I couldnt get a solid enough anchor point on one of my tension lines and i had a heck of a time getting the tent to stay up in the wind. If it wasn't windy i wouldnt have had a problem. (due to the high winds the tent would pull my dead men free with a big gust) I know it isnt really a good 4 season tent due to that reason, a freestanding tent would have been much better in those conditions.

If you can get your two main tension points set your usually golden, the 4 corners are far less important and are more for just stretching the fabric apart for room inside more than anything.

Pros: Lightweight, and easy to set up.

Cons: Don't break a treking pole!, must have the two main tension points for a good solid setup, if its single wall you will at some point have condensation issues.

10:37 p.m. on January 21, 2014 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

2  lbs is a light tent! I used a Golite Shangri-la 3 tent for 10 years which weighs about twice as much. Its $249 weighs 4.8 lbs

http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-3-Tent-P46713.aspx 

It also can be used with a single hiking pole to set it up. Its pole system is just one center pole with space for up to 3 inside depending on how its sat up. If you camp in forests  much the pole can be substituted with tying the top of the tent to a limb above. 

It fights condensation with two vents at the top one in front and one in back.

Shangri-la-3-ashx.jpg

It comes in two parts the rain fly outer tent wall and the inner bug netting.bathtub floor system. 

I now use the Shangri-la 5 which is basically the same but for my extended camps I like more room inside  during wet weather. 

Golite also makes the Imogene UL2 which costs $249 and weighs 2.6 lbs

Imogene-UL2-tent-ashx.jpg

Both the Imogene UL2 and Shangri-la 3 are one sale half off their normal $500 price.

Video of the Imogene set up:

http://youtu.be/TYTIWuVhYNk 

2:37 a.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

The single trekking pole tents , especially the pyramid or teepee style ones are far easier to put up than the typical A frame like pitch of the Meta 2P etc which uses 2 poles.

7:27 p.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
378 forum posts

Some two pole shelters may be easier to set up than others.

This is how I set up the Tarptent Strato Spire II :

franco@tarptent

10:46 p.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Thanks for the replies.  I'm gonna site tight, see what this new tent is all about and of course explore the many options that I'm sure will be hitting the shelves this spring.  Appreciate all the feedback. Very helpful.

4:32 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
1 reviewer rep
712 forum posts

You can definitely get lighter with more features in a double walled trekking pole tent (see Tarptent.com).

5:50 a.m. on January 25, 2014 (EST)
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Thats about how long it takes me to set up the Meta 2P also, easily setup in 1.5-2 mins or less. I wasn't trying to hint towards that the Meta or A frame style pitch is harder or tedius to pitch. Its just that the 2 tension lines are critical to the proper setup. Just as the corner stakes are in the video Franco linked.

Tarptents are nice, don't misunderstand me. Just all trekking pole tents, the stakes at least some of them are absolutely critical. So they arnt right for all conditions or locations.

9:14 a.m. on January 28, 2014 (EST)
118 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

For whatever you want to make of it, STEEP & CHEEP has the Nemo Meta on sale. Almost 1/2 price. $245 now, regularly $449. Sale lasts for 2 days.

March 29, 2020
Quick Reply