Winter cycling gloves still not keeping my finger tips warm

12:43 p.m. on February 7, 2014 (EST)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

My new gloves I bout a few weeks ago still do not keep my finger tips from freezing when its like it was yesterday at 15 degree's out. With the windchill my finger tis were froze by the time I got to work after a 20-30 minute ride on my bicycle.

I just found an idea though. These mittens in this ad show they have a pocket to put the chemical handwarmers into.

mittens.jpg

I have a pair of Thinsulate and wool mittens like the ones above, minus the little pocket for the warmer. I am going to sew a pocket into the glove section for the warmer. Hopefully my sewing will work and this will finally solve my problem. 

My finger tips hurt worse after getting to work than they do during the slow freeze on the way there. It generally takes at least 15-30 minutes for them to warm up while sitting with them under my thighs or under my arm pits. Someone suggested cold water, but the water here is very cold and with cold fingers its hard to adjust the water temperature properly and safely.

This is the first winter I have pedaled in cold weather, at least as far as I ride to work @ 6 miles. Next winter I plan to be back in Tucson and the Sonoran Desert where temperatures are in the 40-80's from October to March and riding with regular fingerless gloves is normal. It is just too cold here for me in southwestern Utah at 5600 feet.

8:09 a.m. on February 18, 2014 (EST)
g00se
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Gary,

No joke--I did this review just for you, my friend!

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/pearl-izumi/pro-softshell-lobster-glove/#review30588

I imagine you could even wear a pair of thin liners in them.

10:50 a.m. on February 18, 2014 (EST)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

GOOSE,

So having the four fingers in two sections cover would keep them warmer that having them each covered in a standard five finger glove? 

I wear silk liners,insulated gloves and over mitts that were supposed to be warm with up to 60mph winds, Being I travel at no more than 20mph I do not understand why the gloves do not do what the manufacturer says they would do.

The weather here has been warming up as of late. Now in the mornings at 830 am when I leave for work it is about 40 degrees so my fingers have not been getting as cold during the 20 minute ride to work.

But thanks for your review.

8:57 a.m. on February 19, 2014 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Glad it's warming up, Gary.

I wore these a few weeks ago while driving my ATV. Air temp was 10F. I don't know what windchill would have been on the ATV, but my hands remained warm.

10:22 p.m. on February 23, 2014 (EST)
andrew f. @leadbelly2550
7,700 reviewer rep
2,357 forum posts

funny, i also reviewed a pair of lobster mitts recently.  https://www.trailspace.com/gear/hestra/heli-3-finger-glove/

i don't think of them as cycling gloves, pretty bulky, but they would work in a pinch.  and fine in fifteen degrees.  

9:14 a.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Andrew, I liked your review. The Pearl Izumis are made for cycling, giving the user that Vulcan V-thing. I don't think the Helis would work, because only the index finger is split. You need at least 2 fingers to squeeze the brake.

10:35 a.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,111 forum posts

Or wear a heavier hat and long johns and your fingers will be magically warmer.

1:12 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Tru dat, ppine!

10:21 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I always had a balaclava on, a hooded sweatshirt, my down jacket with hood and long underwear and wool socks. 

I think as someone said in the beginning of the original thread, it was my circulation has gone to hell. My hands were in the beginning going to sleep back when it was not as cold but cold enough for me to wear more than my fingerless cycling gloves at 6 am in October/November. The numbness was not something I had ever dealt with before in 30+years of bicycle touring thousands of miles every year. On tours I never started riding before sunrise and by the time I woke and broke camp the air temp was very warm, especially being I toured in the warm spring and fall months not in the dead of winter.

The last 30 years Tucson or the bottom of the Grand Canyon had been my winter home and both are warm in midwinter. In Tucson I would be cycling even at dawn in shorts and a tshirt. The canyons bottom and even on the mid Tonto Platform are in the 50-70's daily.

I have not enjoyed the cold since I grew up in upstate NY and lived in Alaska for two years in the late 1970's. I was foolish to stay here this winter, I should have packed up after the first winter storm in early December and headed south on my bike. I would have been in Tucson all winter and be just now thinking of heading north to my summer home in Jackson Hole WY.

But thanks for all the tips and equipment idea's. 

Thursday I am cycling to Zion then St George Utah to catch a shuttle to SLC and and another to Jackson Hole for another summer.

10:59 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,111 forum posts

gary,

I think you have hit the real answer. Our circulation declines with age, and the extremities are the first to suffer. I am headed to Reno today to look for a warmer sleeping bag. I really like the off season trips in the colder weather, but have trouble staying as warm as I used to. Maybe your glove and hand warmer idea is the real solution for crummy circulation.

11:47 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I bought a Kelty Cosmic Zero Down sleeping bag for $134 last fall It should keep me plenty warm on my two day trip to St George this weekend.  I see now at:

http://www.kelty.com/p-458-cosmic-0.aspx?category=sleeping-bags-pads

They have the Cosmic for $114.95

In 1980 I used a -30 degree down bag from EMS and was never cold when sleeping. That was my first and last real winter camping trip. I was in Yosemite from Jan-May 1980 camping the high Sierra Nevada.

May 26, 2020
Quick Reply