Open main menu

Ankle Supports/Braces?

Aaaaaaarrrgghh!!! I folded my ankle... Again. This fortunately did not happen on the trail, but once again begs the question now that I finish off the summer, injured.

I have always been a boot wearer, especially because of chronic ankle injuries to my right wheel. Does anyone have any specific experience with any good ankle braces? I'm considering buying a product from Active Ankles. I'm not really sure if any models will work with a full boot, however I would be up for using trail runners or hiking shoes, and reaping their advantages.

http://www.activeankle.com/products/athletic/rigid-ankle-braces/t2-ankle-brace-detail

Thanks all, and I hope your summer has been stellar!

-Sláinte

I recently had to add a knee brace to my arsenal but for ankles I have always relied on my boots for support.  If you really need something more I'd consider a small ace bandage, but whatever you do I'd suggest keeping the miles low until you figure out what works. Your solution may come with its own problems and you don't want to be in too deep when you find that out.

I have no expereince with such, but strange enough, was just reading a thread on another backpacking site and the Active Ankle T2 was recommened for backpackers with big ankle issues. FWIW

I played basketball seriously for 40 years and stretched everything in both ankles more than 10 times. I used to use lace-up ankle supports with good results. Now I am careful with foot placement and automatically give when I feel the footing change. like when a rock rolls or something. You are a candidate for tall boots and a light pack. Getting in the habit of going slower and not challenging your ankles is the greatest advice I can give.

I was backpacking with a friend that had been a college lacrosse player. We were a couple of days into a wilderness area in Colorado when he stretched an ankle. We made camp right there. He rested a couple of days and used RICE. He had a good brace to use and we built him some primitive crutches. We then divided his load between the 3 of us that were still healthy. We got him out okay but it was a wake up call about the consequences of a leg injury.

Thanks for the information so far, fortunately I am pretty slow going on the trail in normal circumstances. I am also on the light side with my pack, just no UL (my base-weight is probably around 20 lbs). I am hoping to find a brace that works with my boots, which lends a generous amount of ankle support, the Lowa Ticam. I've probably hiked another 100+ miles since the review, but here you go...

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/lowa/ticam-gtx/#review30137

I got a quick start to the healing process, and used RICE right away which really contained the bruising & swelling. A lot of people in the medical field are starting to use the term H-RICE, stressing the importance of hydration as well. For any of you reading that is not familiar,

1. Hydration
  2. Rest
  3. Ice
  4. Compression
  5. Elevation

Thank goodness this is only an intermediate sprain, so I'm hoping to get my wheels rolling soon!

Sean that just sucks....you have my sympathy. I work out 7 days a week and am otherwise very active anyway. Injuries like this are torturous for me and usually mess with my head as much or more than my body.

Tortuous, indeed... Worst thing of it all is that compensating my injured ankle has caused my back injury to go haywire... Being active every day is the only thing that keeps my disc injury from herniating... This is for the birds!

No doubt about it, injuries suck. My knee issue has forced me to cancel my plans to do the LT next month. I've done all I can to rehab it and I don't trust it to hold up that long at this point. I'm sticking to nothing longer than a week for the rest of the year :)

Perhaps we can get TS to sponsor a rehabilitation group... Heh

Injuries are the price we pay for active lives, not to mention aging. I have been hurt a lot in my life, so I finally gave up basketball, lift served skiing, and horses. Those were the main ways I got hurt.

Working through injuries is how people stay in the outdoors as they age. My backpacking list of friends to call is down to about three due to attrition. Do whatever it takes to work around your injuries. Realize that no matter how bad it seems, there are plenty of people in worse shape than you are when it comes to injuries. Be carefull out there.

I wear single-piece, full-grain leather hiking boots rather than shoes... even for formal occasions. :) Due to peripheral neuropathy and other maladies, my brain doesn't always know the angle of my foot. In shoes I could easily roll my foot under my ankle. These "old-school" boots prevent those injuries and are quite comfortable as well.

If you really need support, stiff expedition boots will be a big help, but that comes with the burden of more weight on your feet.  Considering most ankle injuries are fatigue related this present a paradox that may not work for you.

Another solution is to tape up, using sports training room techniques to immobilize your ankle with tapes and other similar technologies and techniques.  You can significantly reduce the potential for a turned ankle, provided you learn how to properly apply the tape. 

Ed

I noticed more and more tennis players are wearing ankle braces.  Andy Murray uses these:

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Aircast_A60_Ankle_Brace_White_/3121/39265.html

October 30, 2020
Quick Reply