can anyone comment on Limmer boot sizing?

4:47 a.m. on November 7, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
411 forum posts

I've been having a lot of trouble sizing my boots.  My feet have changed a lot in the past couple of years.  I'm looking to get a pair of either Standards, Midweights, or Lightweights.  I know to send in tracings, but I'm also interested in gathering some feedback from owners.

My questions are:  do they run small?  run big?  run narrow?  run wide?  how true are they to your normal or average shoe size?  how true are they to your Brannock Device size and width?

If you have any experience with Limmer fitting, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

11:09 a.m. on November 7, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,036 forum posts

Barb and I bought Limmer custom boots a number of years ago. The fitting process worked very well. We did the tracings wearing the socks we intended to wear when using the boots. Break-in time was very short (all full grain leather boots take a bit of breaking in, which is more adjusting your feet from the less well fitted boots you were wearing before than it is the boots molding themselves to your feet).

But a cheaper alternative is to buy your FGL boots as close to your size as possible, and go to a highly experienced professional boot fitter. Admittedly, these people are hard to find in most parts of the world and especially the US and Canada. We no longer have any in the SFBay area. The last one here retired when the Marmot stores closed their last shop in this area a couple years ago. We know of one in Salt Lake, where we go twice a year for the Outdoor Retailer Show (summer and winter), and friends in Portland and Seattle say they use ones in each city. Well, ok, if you have to travel to the boot fitter a long way from where you live, it isn't cheaper.

We have found that there are a couple brands of FGL boots that come very close to fitting us and are high quality for much less than custom Limmers. So with our SLC trips, we can get a near-perfect fit that settles in within 10-20 miles of hiking on moderately rough trails (hiking on city sidewalks won't break in any boots, you need variable terrain)

February 18, 2020
Quick Reply