got answers?

8:53 p.m. on December 25, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
110 forum posts

did 'go-lite' go belly up?

seems to me the website is either:

a.) down for maintenance

or

b.) down for good (or for bad, for that matter)

word on the street, anyone?

8:55 p.m. on December 25, 2014 (EST)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

GoLite has been having a "going out of business sale".

Beyond that I don't have any direct knowledge.

Here is an article I found that says the company filed chapter 11 bankruptcy

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_26750326/boulder-based-golite-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-reorganization

9:33 p.m. on December 25, 2014 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,345 forum posts

Bad thing is when you buy gear from a company and then they send you emails reminding you twice a day they are going out of business as Golite did. They must have reminded me a dozen times in 5 days that they would soon be gone. 

Actually I wonder what happened with Golite, I liked their equipment? Were they doing that bad to quit? 

9:37 p.m. on December 25, 2014 (EST)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Gary, according to two articles I have read Golite has filed bankruptcy in order to re-structure the business - doesn't seem like they are quitting.

7:38 a.m. on December 26, 2014 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,931 forum posts

Yes their gone... @gary Bad business decisions and owed huge debt to the manufactuerers and they are pretty much going to get cents for the dollars owed.

8:54 p.m. on December 26, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

There was a lot of speculation on what/why but here is an article that I think well explains what happened :

http://bizwest.com/despite-retail-failure-golite-founder-hoping-for-comeback/

9:17 p.m. on December 26, 2014 (EST)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Thanks Franco.

10:15 p.m. on December 26, 2014 (EST)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

I wish the best for them.

I tried to purchase from them a few times. It seemed like they were always changing their products and/or listing items they no longer carried. I finally gave up.

7:58 a.m. on December 27, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Sadly alot of the small business start ups that this market typically refers to as a "cottage industry" forget that they are a small BUSINESS. Its easy to go belly up if you dont follow basic business principles.

GoLite in my experiences made some pretty decent gear, but they were horrible with the actual business side of the equation, and the customer service wasnt very superb either in my experiences with them.

I am honestly surprised at their prices on alot of things, if they were making any profit at all i would be very surprised.

Hopefully they do make a come back, and get more rooted in basic business priciples so they stay afloat next time.

9:42 a.m. on December 27, 2014 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,345 forum posts

A few years ago I sent a sleeping bag to them for repair. After two weeks I emailed them t see it it had arrived and they said it was in the repair department and to contact them again in a couple more weeks and they would let me know how much they were going to charge to to repair it. I called back later and they said it was unrepairable and they were sending me a $100 gift certificate towards anything in their store and sent the sleeping bag bag as well. I took it to a local sewing repair company who fixed it in two days. I used the certificate to buy a day pack from them that was less than the $100.

I have bought 3 of their tents, two sleeping bags, the day pack and a couple backpacks, all of which I got great use out of. I am sorry to see them go and hope thEy do make a comeback.

Did ya'll know that the original founder or designer of their gear was Ray Jardine?

The first piece of gear I ever owned by Golite/Ray Jardine was a 10x12 foot tarp that was made of his extremely light nylon(?) material. It stuffed into a stuff sack 2x6 inches and weighed less than one pound.

June 17, 2019
Quick Reply