In-VEST-igating my options

11:03 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,999 reviewer rep
577 forum posts

I've been tucking away a little bit of cash each payday in order to buy a new vest. Now that I have enough saved up, it occurred to me that I don't know which vest to purchase. 

Here's my conundrum. . . My original intention was for the vest to serve as a warm layer in the winter (primarily during cold-weather hunting and maybe snowshoeing). However, I just landed a new job which will require business casual attire daily, meaning I could wear a collared shirt with a vest over top.

If I could find the vest that could work for both occasions, I'd be set. 

Thoughts? 

12:15 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Perhaps something like a Rab generator? They are quite warm and look clean and not overly outdoorsy.

12:49 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

My brother in law swears by his Ibex merino wool vest.  He lives in it as a hunting mid-layer and for a good looking layer over a dress shirt for work.  It definitely looks nicer than a fleece or puffy vest.  http://shop.ibex.com/Wool-Clothing/Mens-Vests-Jackets/M-Scout-Vest  While I don't own this, I just reviewed an Ibex zip hoody that I really like.  It's a fairly densely-woven wool with a little bit of stretch to it.  really warm. 

ps - I recognize that Ibex clothing generally is really expensive at full price.  I noted that the vest is on sale at Sunny Sports for $109, if the color and size combination works for you. http://bit.ly/1HVjr1O 

3:41 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Hmmm....first thing that come to my mind is a wool vest from somewhere like Woolrich. I have one that works quite well in the way you describe.

4:59 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
741 forum posts

I'm with Andrew and Mike...if you're going to use it for business casual wool is probably the best fabric to go with...and though I have reservations about wool as a base-layer it is an excellent mid-layer.

6:07 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Hmmm....first thing that come to my mind is a wool vest from somewhere like Woolrich. I have one that works quite well in the way you describe.

another brand, Filson, also makes a very attractive wool vest that is perfect for business wear or in the wilderness. They can be somewhat expensive but the folks who I know that have them rave about them and wear them all the time. One fellow up in Seattle wears his year round. That would not work down here but I'd sure wear one in the cold seasons if I had one...

10:39 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
4,999 reviewer rep
577 forum posts

Great suggestions all. Thanks!

I'll be taking a look at the brands you mentioned. 

As a side note: Being a born and raised in PA, I try to support Woolrich when I can (I actually just bought a sweater from them only a few days ago) as they are PA's most (only) recognized outdoor/lifestyle company. I think I'll start there, but the others sound enticing as well.

3:18 p.m. on January 9, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Kiwi,

I have a Patagonia Down Sweater Vest that I would wear every single day if I could. It is comfortable, versatile, and (I think) good looking. I wear it out on the town and in the backcountry. Just throwing that out there, just in case you haven't given those a look yet. :)

8:48 p.m. on January 11, 2015 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

EDDIE BAUER First Ascent Storm Down vest is filled with 850 fill DWR treated down (Down Tek).

Santa gave me one and I love it, From now on ALL my down garments will have a down DWR treatment. 

8:19 p.m. on January 14, 2015 (EST)
4,999 reviewer rep
577 forum posts

I'm beginning to shy away from the idea of a down vest. It seems a little out of place in the office, which is too bad because it would probably suit me best in cold-weather outdoor pursuits. I'm now looking at fleece and/or wool exclusively. Going to try on the Patagonia Better Sweater Vest this weekend. 

@300winmag - that is a nice vest EB is making. Saw it the other day in store and gawked for a minute. 

4:47 p.m. on January 15, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I was actually going to also suggest that, as well. I have a better sweater full zip jacket and it is shockingly warm and it has a really nice, sleek look to it.

7:17 p.m. on February 11, 2015 (EST)
4,999 reviewer rep
577 forum posts

After looking at various options, it came down to a vest from Woolrich and a Patagonia Better Sweater vest. I decided on the latter, mostly due to two factors: 1) the Woolrich vest was boxier shaped than I preferred and 2) my local gear shop was having a 20% discount on Patagonia products. 

So far I've been very pleased with the vest. A review will be forthcoming, but I suspect not for several months or longer - once I get use it in several situations/temps/conditions/etc. 

8:43 p.m. on February 12, 2015 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Of course you know no Woolrich items are made in the USA. (This from A Woolrich customer service lady.)

Jus' sayin'...

1:12 p.m. on February 15, 2015 (EST)
4,999 reviewer rep
577 forum posts

That's not entirely true, 300winmag. That lady should be fired. 

Yes, most (or even all) or their widely distributed apparel and accessories are not made in the US (just like almost every other major outdoors apparel company), but they do still have a woolen mill and other factories in the US where they manufacture goods such as jackets, blankets, hats, packs, socks, leather boots and even one very nice looking vest (going back to the original post). 

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/browse/made-in-usa/_/N-80r

February 21, 2019
Quick Reply