Herman Boots

9:47 a.m. on January 30, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,140 reviewer rep
654 forum posts

If you've been reading the gear reviews over the past couple months, you may have noticed an onslaught of reviews about Herman boots (mostly, the Herman Survivors). A cheap, made in China, sold at Wal-Mart boot that either people love or hate (it seems almost all reviews are either 1/2-star or 5-star). While most of the reviews have very little detail, I find it fascinating that one boot has garnered so many reviews lately.

So with that, I am going to add that I do in fact own a pair of these boots. My parents bought them for me 12-15 years ago (I can't remember precisely), and I use them every winter, mostly for hunting. They have been with me longer than any other pair of boots/shoes I own and have countless miles on them. 

While I no longer shop at Wal-Mart, and try to avoid big box stores in general (although if I'm being honest, that's pretty difficult to do), from personal experience, these boots have actually been very good to me for 12-15 years now. I'll ride them out until they are no longer serviceable and then will replace with a different boot.

11:13 a.m. on January 30, 2015 (EST)
7,680 reviewer rep
2,336 forum posts

My first work boot.  I used them for cutting grass and other yard work, plus summer hiking, until about 1986.  I also had a steel-toed pair that I used on construction sites in the mid-1980s, which were trashed after a few summers - typical for any boot you use in construction.  Mine were from a Herman's retail store.  Split grain leather, moccasin-style toe, goodyear welt, vibram sole.  The ones I used were decent and durable.  On the downside, the leather was thin and didn't offer much support, and they weren't easy to waterproof. 

I suspect the newer versions, after Walmart purchased the brand, are probably a cheaper, lower-quality boot. 

11:27 p.m. on January 30, 2015 (EST)
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

Reading these many reviews, it looks like Hermans are like Schwinn bikes. They were great until bought out by chain stores.

8:07 a.m. on January 31, 2015 (EST)
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

I remember commercials about them in the 70's when Hermans were a quality product.  

2:08 a.m. on February 1, 2015 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Yep, they went the way of the Vasque Sundowner.

Walmart, Kmart, & Sears seem to have a knack for ruining everything they touch.

Please don't get me started on the decline of Black & Decker, Rockwell, Craftsman, etc. Craftsman tools are just on a little side trip from the landfill, IMO. No real craftsmen use them unless they are from before the 80's.

I had good experiences with Herman Survivors before Walmart neutered them.

6:16 a.m. on February 1, 2015 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

This is the thing..I don't generally look at shoe reviews..Because everyone has a preference for certain brands and everyone's feet are different..I have been running since I was 10..I use to use certain brands and have switched over the years because how foot box's have become narrower in shoe's..I find the same thing in boots..So why would you read a review on a shoe or boot?Your opinion why its helpful...

April 9, 2020
Quick Reply