new england visits the mid-atlantic

10:38 a.m. on February 15, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,650 reviewer rep
2,333 forum posts

really nice morning hiking weather today in the DC area.  10 degrees when i left the house, northwest winds steady at around 30 with gusts that might have been 50 mph - enough to put me a little off balance.  we had a nice hour-long snow squall last night that dropped an inch of snow on the ground, too.  pretty standard layering - base layers plus wind shells top and bottom, primaloft gloves, insulated boots.  

20150215_080329.jpg

things i particularly liked this morning:

-patagonia R1 with hood.  zipped all the way up, it protected my face until i warmed up.  wore it under a windproof hat, kept my neck warm.  i have been alternating between this and an ibex hoody.  while the ibex might be a tad warmer and has some great pockets and a full zip, the R1 fabric offers somewhat better freedom of movement and better moisture management, and the R1 has a better-sculpted hood and better face protection.  plus longer sleeves.

-the north face neck warmer.  stretchy back, gore windstopper front.  i didn't feel the need to pull it over my face today, but it kept my neck warm.  i rarely use it down here; it's more for winter trips up north.

-mountain hardware dome perignon.  windproof hat, large enough to fit over a balaclava or light hoody.  also rarely used here.

-kahtoola microspikes.  first time i have used them here, but they are a staple if i'm in new england and not quite in crampon-land.  absolutely fantastic traction today on snow and ice-splattered rocks.  

20150215_081411.jpg

March 28, 2020
Quick Reply