Pack shoulder strap design

1:00 a.m. on March 24, 2015 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,433 forum posts

On some new day packs I notice a connection between the back of the shoulder straps above where they come off the pack behind the head. What kind of stability does this offer?

Does it relieve weight stress or something? Maybe like the way the chest strap holds the shoulder straps together relieving the outward pull from the packs weight?

ultralight-daypack1---Edited.jpg

8:42 a.m. on March 24, 2015 (EDT)
Jake W
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,909 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

I'm pretty sure it's just a handle in lieu of a grab loop. 

8:28 a.m. on March 25, 2015 (EDT)
DrPhun
253 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

I thought it was to replace a seperate grab loop too.  I first saw these on small "packable" day packs.

9:31 a.m. on March 25, 2015 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,433 forum posts

Oh, okay! I see that now...Thanks

12:49 a.m. on March 26, 2015 (EDT)
heathcote
393 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Somebody, somewhere, sometime in a significant design moment had this brilliant idea of a wide continuous attach point between pack and web. It was so wide that if a hole were to be cut in it it saved a fitted handle. Great idea but they never tested it in real person to person use. For most people I know who are serious about their gear will not spend money a second time on this design feature.

The problem is fit! the shoulder straps slip off and getting an even load on both shoulders without use of chest strap is impossible unless you are deformed with shoulders like an armored fullback.  The best and most effective position for shoulder webs is 1 in (25 mm) apart with adjustment webs from pack to shoulder area. Many years ago "Bergan" of Norway had this sussed out as did "Fjellraven" and made superb harnesses for lightweight day assent to full expedition packs. I believe that all the best harness webs still use this basic design feature to this day.

1:41 p.m. on April 9, 2015 (EDT)
300winmag
1,066 reviewer rep
736 forum posts

My Osprey Momentum has a ¨dedicated¨ heavy duty grab handle and I like it. But it also has the ¨connected¨shoulder straps, which so far have proven comfortable.

May 30, 2020
Quick Reply