high volume pack for kids

11:10 a.m. on April 1, 2015 (EDT)
smithcreek
0 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

I need some help from some of you folks who have skinny kids.

my oldest grandson is going with me for weekend trips now and his rei kids pack ( I don't remember the model but it is a scaled down adult pack pretty much ) just doesn't have the volume he needs. we keep the weight down to around 12% but a lot of our gear is light weight but kind of high volume, under quilts for hammocks, the hammocks and we use down bags for top quilts, his kids bag is less compressible than my down bags so he uses an adult bag unless it is in the 30's or below. the last time I measured his waist it was 19 inches and while he has gotten taller I doubt if his waist has gone up more than an inch. we pad the hip belt of the pack he is using now with memory foam to get a better fit but I would love to find a pack with enough adjustment that we wouldn't have to do that and also get 30L or more volume.

I carry most of the gear for myself and two grandsons at times and it is all I can do to get it all in my Blaze AC, I need to get their high volume low weight items in the packs.

any help will be appreciated.

creek.

11:41 p.m. on April 4, 2015 (EDT)
pine sap
0 reviewer rep
708 forum posts

Jan Sport used to have a frame pack for kids that had pretty good volume plus the torso length could be adjusted with growth. My son used that pack from about age 7 to about 10 or 11. It had a main compartment with an area below to attach a stuffed sleeping bag to the frame. Also had side pockets and a shelf on the top for lashing gear.

9:17 a.m. on April 5, 2015 (EDT)
TheRambler
2,795 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Have you checked out womens packs? They might be able to be adjusted smaller than a typical mens small pack. Worth a test fit at a store anyway.

5:49 p.m. on April 5, 2015 (EDT)
trouthunter
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

I know the challenge!

Kelty has a decent little external frame pack for kids that is adjustable as the kid grows.

Sanitas 34

They also had an internal frame for kids, but I don't see it on the website anymore.

As TheRambler suggests you might want to take a look at something like the Kelty Womens Redwing 40

...and other brands of womens packs too of course.

There are a few things I don't like about Kelty packs, such as how well the hip belt stays adjusted on the Coyote line of packs, but that can be fixed by tying the loose end of the webbing around the hip belt once after you get it adjusted.

However they are affordable and take a pretty good beating.

I would say the same for Jansport, not perfect, but affordable and tough.

LL Bean also has some nice kids packs.

The thing is that while you can see the torso length (or the range of adjustment) listed on most of these packs it's a little more difficult to find the actual waist size (in inches / cm ) for the hip belt.

At least that has been my experience when looking online.

There are several reviews of kids packs right here on Trailspace.

9:04 a.m. on April 7, 2015 (EDT)
smithcreek
0 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

thanks for the reply's. after much research I am leaning towards the circuit with a kids suspension, it is pricy for a kids pack but it should last him a long, long time by upgrading the suspension when he is big enough. His mom has agreed to kick in 100 bucks so that helps in the decision as well.

the closest outfitters are 3 hours or more away otherwise I would spend a day letting him try on packs, I like the fox line and some of the osprey's but despite living walking distance of the florida trail there is not much to choose form here, I even checked at wally world for OP packs, they had two models both glorified book bags.

thanks again, been a long time since I have posted here and I was beginning to think I was being shunned.

creek

10:20 a.m. on April 7, 2015 (EDT)
trouthunter
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

ULA certainly makes a good lightweight pack.

We have 2 outdoor gear stores within 30 miles of where I live (coastal SC), but they concentrate mostly on water sports, kayaks, surfing, and so on. They do have tents, backpacks, boots, etc. but in very limited choices.

If you ever fail to get a reply on Tailspace, shoot me a private message via Trailspace and I will respond! I bet many of the other members would as well.

Take it easy, and kudos for getting that kid outdoors!

10:21 a.m. on April 7, 2015 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,111 forum posts

One solution is to find a Kelty external frame in the kids model which is still popular. Take the bag off and lash your big bulky and lightweight gear directly the frame. Easy.

8:59 a.m. on April 30, 2015 (EDT)
Dan Marsalek @1MechEng
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

The Osprey Ace 48 has a waist belt that goes down to 20 inches, IIRC. It's a nice pack that goes from 14" to 19" in torso size, so it will grow with him as well.

This is the standard pack we recommend for our skinny Boy Scouts. (My youngest son - age 11 - has one!)

Hope this helps.

1:12 p.m. on May 1, 2015 (EDT)
smithcreek
0 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

thanks again for the replies.

Dan I am glad you mentioned that, I think a friend of mine has the Ace 48, if so I will take the kid by for a fitting.

creek

6:09 p.m. on May 1, 2015 (EDT)
OttoStover
0 reviewer rep
265 forum posts

Take a look at the Deuter Fox 30 or 40. They are well made packs with good details for hiking gear.

May 27, 2020
Quick Reply