Wait...an insulated tent?

11:39 a.m. on April 28, 2015 (EDT)
Daniel Oates
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

An interesting read, I'd love to know more. 

It's currently on Kickstarter and there are 3 and 6 person options now. I think we've all thought about it at some point, just for fun. I think the old standby of using sleeping bag may be too big of a hurdle to overcome ;)

http://gearjunkie.com/thermo-insulated-tent  

2:20 p.m. on April 28, 2015 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,111 forum posts

Great idea, they just need to get lighter.

6:19 p.m. on April 28, 2015 (EDT)
Erich
743 reviewer rep
1,445 forum posts

I see some issues, not the least of which is condensation. As well, though the interior will be warmer, how much. Remember, the only heat source in the tent is your warm body. It has to heat the air in there for the insulation to be effective. Sort of like being in a giant sleeping for six, but it's just you. And since ventilation is important, your warm air is going to be lost. I guess if you plug your electric heater into your little honda genset, it might work.

7:31 p.m. on April 28, 2015 (EDT)
-chase-
0 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

On their Kickstarter page the makers of Thermo Tent state and I'll quote...

We at Thermo Tents have essentially married brand new and innovative insulation technology with our new multi layer tent design, and Thermo Tent is the result. It is the world's first (correctly) thermally and acoustically insulated tent. We have managed to overcome issues like bulk and condensation risk, and we have come up with a top quality, mobile tent that will introduce you to a new level of Comfort, Outdoors... 

So it sounds like they've resolved some of the issues mentioned above. Though weight was not one of those nor one it sounds like they were concerned with since they mention using "steel poles" for structural strength and peace of mind.

It looks modular and I can't tell, but perhaps they have a small one as well.

I've seen others insulate their tents quite successfully, heating it using a simple small Dakota fire or wood stove.

At any rate, the Thermo Tent does look pretty cool design wise.

- chase -

6:40 p.m. on May 4, 2015 (EDT)
Franco
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
378 forum posts

I have seen several tent projects that have failed on Kickstarters but this one made it.

It raised just over 50.000 Euros, about 55K USD.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thermotents/thermo-tent-the-new-standard-of-comfort-outdoors

7:56 p.m. on May 4, 2015 (EDT)
trouthunter
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

This would work (just like insulated homes) IF you have a source of heat in the winter, and a way to cool in the summer.

Body heat alone isn't going to cut it, you would be better off with a sleeping bag.

12:25 a.m. on May 5, 2015 (EDT)
Franco
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
378 forum posts

I interpreted their claims to mean out of the wind chill in cold weather and cool as shade in hot weather.

Can't see how it is going to be better than that.

I had speculated before about using a 3 layer system (waterproof fly with two breathable inner layers) to reduce condensation and in a way this design is along those lines.

Anyway of course it is for the car camping crowd still will be interesting how it performs in real world conditions.

May 26, 2020
Quick Reply