Speaking of goggles...

9:42 a.m. on April 30, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,683 forum posts

We never seem to talk about them much here, much less review them. 

Who takes them into the mountains with them for anything other than riding snow?

I have never owned goggles that cost more than about $35.  Are the $135 ones THAT much better?  Why?

IMG_20150329_124003860_HDR.jpg
Mt St Helens. She forgot her sunglasses back in the tent. Oakley A-frames saved the day.  Too expensive for me.

IMG_20141122_101947451.jpg
$25 on Spring clearance

IMG00804-20100704-0728.jpg
#2 forgot his sunglasses

IMG00717-20100605-1249.jpg
It seems to be a trend with him

1:13 p.m. on April 30, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,839 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

After fogging up my sunglasses too many times this winter I've been thinking I need to try some next year. All I can seem to find are either really expensive or really cheap. Plus this time of year it is hard to spend scarce dollars on winter equipment when I'm trying to figure out how to finance my summer plans.

Do you find the cheap ones work well enough at not fogging up when you're chugging up a mountain? Or do you not chug? :)

3:01 p.m. on April 30, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,261 forum posts

haha, I've seen enough of Jeffs reports.....he chugs for sure.

9:21 p.m. on April 30, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

Goggles steam up as much as glasses. One product that works quite well in cutting down on the fogging and much used by skiers is Cat Crap. If you apply it carefully, it gives quite good clear vision, though if you smear it on too thickly, it's like looking through a cloud. Glycerin and Rain-X work as well, though not as good in my experience.

As one of the old folks who needs corrective lenses, I have found that Smith and Bolle make good goggles that will fit over glasses, though I can often get along with my transitions prescription glasses and prescription glacier glasses much of the time.

Over in the other "glasses" thread, several people proclaimed their enthusiasm for polarized lenses. Something I learned years ago about polarized lenses is that if you are doing something that requires dealing with slick surfaces at speed (e.g., driving on roads with black ice or skiing icy snow slopes, being able to see that reflection is really vital. Polarized lenses are oriented so that the reflections off those slick surfaces disappear. I used to race bicycles (road and criterium mostly), and being able to spot the rain-slick spots in the turns kept me to only one crash in a race (the guy ahead of me went down and slid across in front of me, so I went right over him).

3:05 a.m. on May 1, 2015 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

I have a couple of pairs of goggles, but neither are very expensive. Both work fine but I like my Commander 1 goggles sold online by www.Guarddogs.com that fit under my ski helmet and over my glasses. They are nothing fancy, but don't seem to fog up much. I use an anti-fog gel made by Kryptin. I have taken them winter camping too, in case of bad weather. I suppose the big expensive ones are better for some purposes, but these work just fine for me. They have interchangeable lenses. I got them at a ski show years ago and have no reason to replace them with anything more costly.

12:11 p.m. on May 1, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,432 forum posts

I have several pairs of surplus snow googles, Austrian, Swiss and US. They are compact and work well. When I rode motorcycles several decades ago, Rain X and other such products didn't exist. Banana oil was the trick to keeping lenses from fogging. 

2:30 p.m. on May 1, 2015 (EDT)
5,150 reviewer rep
1,066 forum posts

Goggles fog up just as fast, if not faster than sunglasses in my experience. I only use them at altitude though so almost always in conjunction with a buff or balaclava, which just forces that warm, moist air right up into the goggles. None of them vent anywhere near enough to stay clear for too long. Hence why I agree with the just buying cheap pairs, cause you'll need multiples on most trips. The increased coverage and protection is a must, not just for the sun, but the wind as well.

2:50 p.m. on May 1, 2015 (EDT)
RETAILER REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Hey Jeff,

I have a pair of Zeal Dominator SPPX Polarized/Photochromatic goggles. I got them from Sierra Trading Post for somewhere around $100 ( I don't remember the exact price). They don't fit my face quite like I'd like, but the lenses are amazing. They really don't fog much and they automatically adjust to the light.

To some, that may not be a very big deal, but when you are getting hammered in whiteout conditions, it makes a tremendous difference. They really brighten everything up. When it is sunny, they really tone down the brightness. When I was skiing at Jackson Hole in whiteout conditions getting blasted with snow, I tried taking them off to see if there was a big difference without them. I immediately put them back on. I could barely see at all without them.

9:04 p.m. on May 3, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,985 reviewer rep
2,281 forum posts

i use them for climbing/hiking in the northeast in the winter, not just for skiing. in my experience, goggles do a better job handling high wind and blowing snow than sunglasses.  

paying more for lenses that look more like a bubble (curved both horizontally and vertically) might be worthwhile.  less distortion and more room inside so better if you wear glasses under your gogs.  figure you'll pay close to double for that.

i agree with other comments about fogging.  apply some kind of internal treatment (i use nikon fog eliminator wipes that work OK, i'm sure other products work well too) and it prolongs the almost inevitable fog.  i think goggles tend to resist fogging a little better because even most lower end goggles have double lenses, but everything fogs eventually, especially if you're working hard.  

9:57 p.m. on May 6, 2015 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I think $10 is the most I've paid for goggles. I rely on them for biking in blizzard conditions (or any snowfall, really). I only have issues with fog-up if I'm also using a neoprene face mask or balaclava, which tends to direct my breath up instead of letting it dissipate outward.

I tend to dismiss the ultra-expensive goggles as just another scam that so many snowboard/ski addicts buy into each year, but I also acknowledge that I would benefit from a slight upgrade.

They're also better than sunglasses in conditions where there's a cold wind that would cause my eyes to water nonstop, and they filter the glare from the ground as much as from the sky.

8:05 a.m. on May 7, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Timely post, Sage!

I wear glasses, and I'm not sure what I need for Mt. Rainier. My gear list calls for both goggles and glacier glasses. I DON'T want to drop $$$ on a pair or prescription glacier glasses I will only wear one time.

I was thinking about contact lenses, though I'm not a fan of that option. I'd rather find something that fits over my glasses, and I'm ready to go.

Any recommendations?

10:26 a.m. on May 7, 2015 (EDT)
6,827 reviewer rep
1,683 forum posts

I bring glasses and goggles, cheap goggles.

1:26 a.m. on May 8, 2015 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

Goose, check your messages and email.

8:18 a.m. on May 8, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Thanks, Tom!

December 11, 2019
Quick Reply