Tent help please.

1:09 p.m. on May 24, 2015 (EDT)
584 reviewer rep
176 forum posts

I have time today, working.  I am looking for 3 season tent free standing or not.,  I have look at Six moons Designs Lunar Solo LE.  I like the use of trekking pole and it seems like it will setup fast.  I have also look at Marmot tungsten 1p for free standing.  I would like to control the cost to less than $200.00.  The weight is also important, but don't want to pass the 4 pound mark, I am not ultra light person, I enjoy comfort more than the weight.  I will be using it around 6 trips a year from around 500 feet to 9000 to 10000 feet.  I use 42 liter pack, but can carry under the pack and poles on the side of pack.  I would like some input from experts to guide me in the right direction.

Thank you for any help.

Mike

1:15 p.m. on May 24, 2015 (EDT)
11,702 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

I'm a hammock man, but I have a buddy who loves his TarpTent. Lightweight, uses poles, 3 season.

10:06 p.m. on May 24, 2015 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

You don't have to be an "ultra light person" to get a UL shelter. If you're getting a new shelter now anyway, why choose one that weighs twice as much as some of your other choices?

There are many, but not necessarily under $200 new, definitely doable for used in good shape. If you use trekking poles then getting a shelter that uses trekking poles for support is a no-brainer.

I agree with Goose, Tarpent is one you should look at. Also Lightheart Gear Solo and SMD Skyscape -- in fact, the heaviest Skyscape is the Scout but is still only 34 oz and only $125 brand new.

You shouldn't have to sacrifice comfort -- in fact, the only way some free-standing tents can be in the same weight class as these tarp tents is their coffin-like floor dimensions, while these tarp tents have much more room inside.

11:56 p.m. on May 24, 2015 (EDT)
584 reviewer rep
176 forum posts

Thank you for the input, I like six moons lunar because I use only one pole, and it looks big enough for my needs.  

7:40 p.m. on May 27, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,334 forum posts

If you decide to go with two trecking poles, the Lightheart Solong 6 has a ton of space and headroom for a little over $200 and just under 2 lbs. A mansion inside with decent awning and two doors. Stacks up well vs Tarptents and in my opinion comes down to personal taste and the 1 or 2 pole issue.

11:48 a.m. on May 28, 2015 (EDT)
733 reviewer rep
1,398 forum posts

Mike, what sort of conditions would you be using it in? When you mention 10,000 feet, that's getting into the realm of mountain tents that should be able to sustain some snow.

7:11 p.m. on May 28, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,334 forum posts

I should have read the first post more carefully...I retract my recommendation of the LH So long in those conditions. Did fine in 30 mph at about 6K but I am not sure I would go more extreme with that one. I have heard good things about SMD and have a cousin in Scotland who swears by his MLD Trailstar tarp...a bit finicky setting up from what I understand but with a netting insert its supposed to be as bombproof as any tent and he experiences really high winds on a persistent basis.

1:48 a.m. on June 2, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

The one of the best act to save the nature is to use Eco-friendly tents for RV camping Southern California. By adapting this, you can diminish the awful impacts on nature & environment. Simply, using Eco-friendly or green tents while camping, therefore, it helps a lot.

• Tent should be made of organic fabrics. One of the best fabric, you’ll find that which is made from natural fabrics such as cotton, wool etc. As long as the resources of these tents are organic then you will leave a little bit trace behind you when you use these tents. Opt for organic tents that are made of natural fabrics and which are ideal green tents. There are numerous industries that offer green tents.

• Well, tents are manufactured from synthetic material are usually popular with campers. This is because synthetic tents render more protection on rainy seasons & the weight of this kind of tent is “ultra-light”. Presently, recycled tents are also gettable in the marketplace which are ultra light in weight, as well as water resistant. This kind of Eco-friendly tent is usually come in white color, due to the reason behind is that these have not chosen to use toxic coating. Hence, if you are looking for water resistant, environment- friendly & light weight tents then go for green tents which are easily available in the market.

• People usually want to buy new tents due to their older tents look older & fade in color. And sometimes, tents have some rips & tears and they don’t know even how to fix them. And they throw their tents away. If you do not mind a little bit patchwork on your camping tent then you can use it and can lessen wastage and being a part in protecting the environment.

• DIY tents can be also the part of Eco-friendly tents. If you do enjoy to do it yourself projects then you can easily create your own tent for camping in order to redesign the tent & use materials that you would want to. Using shower curtains & bamboo poles for making DIY tents for your outdoor activities.

1:59 a.m. on June 2, 2015 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

Jin Pak,

Can you give us some example of green tents ?

(I mean products that one can buy, not a concept/philosophy) .

Note that the OP is after something around $200 and less than 4 lbs.

7:32 p.m. on June 2, 2015 (EDT)
470 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I've been using a Eureka Spitfire 1 person tent with mucho success. I did a review of it on here. My neighbor has an Alps Mountaineering (I believe) 1 person tent. It's free standing & has a better vestibule in my opinion. Both seem like they might work for what you're looking for. Cost is around $100, and weight is around 3 lbs.

10:17 p.m. on June 2, 2015 (EDT)
584 reviewer rep
176 forum posts

Thanks again for all the input; I go to Colorado every few years and like Park County area, also live in SoCal and there is a few Mountains out here that I like to hike and backpack.  I don't plan to spend week after week in the snow.  I found Hubba Hubba that I will try for a while.  I like the space and I know it's greater weight  than what I posted but like the space.  I go out for the fun and adventures, but when I stop I like comfort.  I am lost about green tent, but thank you I follow Leave no Trace and it has work for me.  The spitfire looks like a good tent, thanks.  I traded for the tent, so I have time to learn, no a beginner but also not an expert just wanted to stay out on the trail longer.  

February 19, 2019
Quick Reply