Double Wall 2 person tent

4:57 p.m. on June 27, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

So been doing some research.  You guys have helped a lot with my next pack.  Here is what I have found.  I want a double wall tent.  I live in the SE and it's hot and humid.  I have posted all prices as they are currently.  Also the weight I'm sure is subjective so I'm doing my best.  I chose the packed weight.  This should include the poles and stakes, but not the foot print.  On no tents have I included the foot print weight as it will be about the same for all the tents.  Also on this list I include mass produced tents and also small volume tents by small businesses.  I tend to lean towards this.  Anything that has 2 prices is currently on sale for the lowest.

Mass Produced Tents

MSR Hubba Hubba NX2            3lb 13oz             $399.95

Sierra Designs Flashlight 2 FL   2lb 14oz             $369.95

Sierra Designs Flash 2 FL         4lb  0oz              $399.95

Big Agnes Seedhouse 2            3lb 0oz               $349.00

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2      3lb  2oz      $399.95/$299.95 

REI Quarter Dome                   3lb 9oz                $299.00

Marmot Force                          3lb  5oz      $389.99/$289.99

Small Manufacturers

SMD Haven Net + tarp             2lb  10oz          $403.00

Tarp Tent Double Moment        3lb   4oz            $349.00

Tarp Tent Stratospire 2            3lb  3oz             $368.00

Right now I'm leaning towards the TT Stratospire 2.  It is by far the largest.  And made in the USA.  The weight I have listed includes their poles, but I would most likely use my trekking poles saving 5 oz.  So 2lb 15oz.  Same with the SMD.  However when we do side hikes I will use the poles or just let the tent fall on itself.  I am 43 with a partial knee replacement so I don't hike without them.

I also like the SMD and can go very light on it.  2lbs 4oz with using my trekking poles.

I also like the BA Copper Spur especially on sale but it's small and the Marmot has a very low height I could hardly sit up in it.

4:58 p.m. on June 27, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Oh and any thoughts?  I have a spreadsheet if anybody wants it.

6:40 p.m. on June 27, 2015 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

Matthew,

With the SS2 you can chose either a mesh or fabric (solid) inner.

Mesh for ventilation and bug protected views, solid for extra wind protection (it does have a mesh "window" on the top third of the door panels)

You can also get either inner later on, if desired.

I have a video clip on a different way of setting it up (it works for me that way...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM

8:08 a.m. on June 28, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

I can envision myself owning 2 net pieces.  One with the full mesh and one solid.  

I'll also be using this when I ride my motorcycle so either way I'll need a set of poles.

3:52 p.m. on July 5, 2015 (EDT)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Mathew, 

Of the tents you listed, and the ones I have experience with, my own choice would probably boil down to Big Agnes or TarpTent.

I have never used a tent from Six Moon Designs, although I have looked over the website.

I love the option some designs give you to use trekking poles, and if multi use items and ultra light gear was my main consideration that is what I would choose.

I like a side entry, a vestibule large enough to be usable, and maximum ventilation for my trips in the Southeast US.

8:37 a.m. on July 6, 2015 (EDT)
254 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

The small manufacturer tents are definitely nice.  At a similar or slightly higher price, I would certainly get one of those.  The big manufacturer tents, though, can often be gotten on sale at prices well below the list prices you show.  If you can wait, there are end of season deals in the Jan and Feb.  The big manufacturers also come out with slightly updated new models annually, so the old model gets cleared out.  For example, the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 you list comes in a regular and UL version.    REI has the heavier version on their website for $167 right now.

2:17 p.m. on July 7, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Matthew,

I've been wanting a TarpTent Stratospire 2 for quite some time now. I can't justify it right now, but if I could, that would be the one I would get. Make sure that you are aware though, TarpTents are not not seam sealed unless you specifically request it. That will increase the cost of the tent. You can do it yourself, if you feel confident enough. I personally would rather have Henry Shires do it, since he is kind of a pro at it. :)

Anyway, all of those tents that you listed are really nice. I really like the Hubba Hubba NX and the Copper Spur 2. If you decide to get one of those, make sure you sit in it in a store if possible and make sure it has enough head room. The Copper Spur is shorter at one end to save weight, so that is the only feedback I have to help you.

Good luck!

9:22 p.m. on July 7, 2015 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

At TT we have DIY seam sealing kits.

The one for the SS2 is $6 and is a pre-mixed version of the type Henry and Co use at TT.

(See the video clip on the site on how to do it).

The SS2 is very easy to do because there are only straight seams , no sleeves however it takes me almost an hour to do and I have had some practice...

7:43 a.m. on July 8, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,565 reviewer rep
1,014 forum posts

I did a review of the older model of the Sierra designs flash 2 which you can find here....

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierra-designs/flash-2/

I'm also currently testing a similar style tent for the Review Corps. It's made by Slingfin and I believe the model name is going to be Ultra Lite, or something like that. It fits your criteria- 3lbs, double wall, 2 doors, 2 vestibules. Not sure what the retail price is going to be though, and I can't seem to find any info online about the tent at all!

The other thing I would would HIGHLY recommend is that you look for a tent that either has the option to go up fly first, or goes up in one shot. In high winds, rain or with a storm approachingm being able to set up your tent with  the interior remaining dry is one of the best advancements in the outdoor industry.

Some of the tents you have listed here have a "dry pitch" (off the top of my head) the SMD, all the tarptents and the Flash, while the rest you would pitch the netting and floor together and then throw the fly over top.

I will never buy a tent again that doesn't go up in one shot. 

2:41 p.m. on August 2, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

I'm still stuck here.

Some updates and I've narrowed it a little.  I've eliminated the Sierra Designs Tents and the REI.  Big Agnes is really bringing some stiff competition and a lot of options.  I like their Slater UL2+.  Nice size for the weight.  Not much mesh though.  But it looks really big.  10 more sq/ft than most here except TT SP2 and it's 6 sq/ft more than that.

And the Marmot Force is still in the hunt.  Especially with the current $289 sale price.

I also updated some weights and current pricing

Mass Produced Tents

MSR Hubba Hubba NX2            3lb 13oz             $399.95

Big Agnes Seedhouse 2            3lb 5oz               $349.00

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2      3lb  8oz              $399.95

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2           2lb 10oz             $349.00

Big Agnes Slater UL2+             3lb  5oz               $389.00

Small Manufacturers

Tarp Tent Stratospire 2            3lb  13oz             $404.00

My big thing is do I want to buy a tent for one trip?  What I mean is we're going to Philmont next summer and I'll be sharing a tent so I'm leaning towards the TT stratospire 2 and the Big Agnes Slater UL2+.  Other than that I stay in the tent by myself.  Knowing that I'm leaning towards the Fly Creek.  

Decisions...descisions!

3:58 p.m. on August 2, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,637 forum posts

All are good tents, but they seem very expensive to me. I am staying with a Sierra Designs tent from about 1994. It weighs around 4.5 pounds. Maybe you can find last year's model at a place like Campmoor. That might help you make the decision.

5:06 p.m. on August 2, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

I'm staying under $400

10:19 p.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Ugh so we have a couple of good local stores here.  I took my digital scale so I at least had the baseline of using the same scale to weigh the tents.

The sales people are very knowledgeable and the girl brough up 3 tents I hadn't considered and quite frankly I'm glad I did.  These tents have pretty much knocked my list apart.  Here is my current list.

Mass Produced Tents

MSR Hubba Hubba NX2            3lb 12oz             $399.95

Easton Kilo Carbon 2                2lb 13oz         $399/$269

Mtn Hrdwre Super Mega UL2    2lb 10oz              $430

Nemo Blaze 2P                        2lb 5oz               $449

So on the retail pricing I get 10% on all these tents so it brings me to the $400 budget limit.  I'm not sure why the Hubba Hubba is staying on the list. It just comes highly recommended and has some cool features, which make it heavier.  

I really like the Nemo Blaze 2P.  It's the largest and the lightest.   I could conceivably do 2 people in this.  Honestly the Easton and the MH no way, just too small.  The Marmot is a little bigger than those 2 but not enough in my book.  The Easton that I can get really cheap is intriguing.  $269 is just crazy cheap for this UL double wall tent.  Although I do buy local and the girl who helped my for 2 hours setting up tents in her store will get a sale, but I'm sure she won't be able to meet the $260 number.  I'm OK with that I'll pay a little more for the service.

Any thoughts.

9:23 a.m. on August 4, 2015 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Keep a close eye on the floor dimensions of these shelters, some of them are "2 person" only if those two people both sleep flat on their backs or stomachs and don't move around, and if they aren't especially large, and even then only barely fits. Make sure the shelter fits the sleeping style of you and expected others you will share it with.

6:22 p.m. on August 4, 2015 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

Floor dimensions (2D) alone don't tell you how much usable space you have.

For example a 30' sq somewhat vertical walls tent can give you more usable space than a 50' sq pyramid.

(on an 8'x8' pyramid about 20' sq are not usable )

This is how the TT StratoSpire 2 looks like with two inside :

TT-SS2-room-4-2_zpsccw6snfh.jpg
We are pretending to play Monopoly but you can't see the board in the photo.

7:07 p.m. on August 4, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

True I can't capture everything.  I have a misc. notes section on my spreadsheet.  Also a materials section.

The Blaze does actually have vertical side walls. But it is tight for 2 people.  50" wide but it's rectangular vs the triangle shape of all the others.

The Stratospire is a cavernous tent.  No doubt.  In fact I was very sold on it.  It's by far the largest volume wise.  And in my opinion ht only true 2 person tent in this group.  The others would do in a pinch, but not by design in my opinion.   For this reason I actually looked at the stratospire 1 as well. 

Part of the reason for the switch is with the stratospire I would have to buy and carry the heavier poles.  I had a partial knee replacement (only 43 yrs old) and with our scout troop we sometimes will set up camp and do side hikes.  I always hike with my poles.  Also I ride motorcycles.  I have a dual sport and also a sport touring bike, both of which I camp off of so I'd need poles there.  

3:22 a.m. on August 5, 2015 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
369 forum posts

"Part of the reason for the switch is with the stratospire I would have to buy and carry the heavier poles."

If you always hike with your trekking poles then you could get the TT "substitute poles" (5.6 oz for the pair so just under 52 oz for tent and poles).

Now given that you have your trekking poles with you, set up the tent with the lighter TT poles, go for your day walk and if the weather looks like turning nasty when you get back, just exchange the lighter poles with your trekking poles.

(just a suggestion, you have to like the tent not me...)

9:59 p.m. on August 6, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

So I got the Nemo today.  I have my first trip in a couple of weeks.  I'll be doing a review after that.

February 21, 2019
Quick Reply