Marmot tents

11:28 p.m. on July 19, 2015 (EDT)
565 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I actually did a google search about this exact subject, and I found a discussion on this forum from back in 2007! I'm looking for newer opinions, though.

I'm looking at several lightweight double wall tents for 3-season backpacking, and a couple of tents by Marmot caught my eye. The Force and Fuse tents are particularly interesting. Both look like they use heavier (more durable?) materials than the competition, and they are both easy to find on sale.

But for some reason, I don't see much internet chatter about Marmot tents. Certainly not in the same league as Big Agnes, REI, and MSR tents. But these tents are in a similar weight class, and Marmot has been around forever. My Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag is one of my favorite pieces of gear, and I've always assumed Marmot's warranty was solid.

For those of you with experience with more recent Marmot tents, is there any reason to avoid them? Is the warranty service good? Is the build quality good? Any glaring flaws in the design of the tents I linked to?

2:50 p.m. on August 2, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

I really like them.  I have a thread here on tents and marmot is on there.  And in my book is a viable contender.  I don't have any first hand knowledge though.

I'd like to see and touch one in person.

I have a spreadsheet I can email if you're interested.  Has a bunch of tents on it and their specs.

1:23 p.m. on August 6, 2015 (EDT)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

I have a Marmot Limelight 2p and a Limelight 3p. I LOVE them both!!

Yes, the materials these tents and the flys are made of are much more robust fabric than many other 3 season tents out there. Albeit a little heavier, but they look and feel much more durable than many others.

Personally,  IMHO, I think the whole weight issue is is a bit overrated.  I will happily pack a few extra pounds on my back in return for a tent that will be stronger in high winds and heavy rains, and one that I can use for many years.

With that said, I'm not a "thru hiker" but if I was, I know a couple extra pounds would be more significant. I'm more of a 10-20 miles on a 3 day weekend kind of a guy.

Anyway, just my .02C. 

February 23, 2020
Quick Reply