Electric knife sharpener

9:16 p.m. on July 28, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

So I am sick of the intense labor of sharpening knives and not getting any results.  I have a very expensive Spyderco Triangle Sharpener that I have been trying to use and all I have gotten is carpel tunnel.  

So can anyone recommend a good electric sharpener that won't cost a bundle...

Thanks

Snakey 

12:01 p.m. on July 29, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,037 forum posts

Knife sharpening is an art that must be learned through practice (and a good tutor). I have yet to see a really good electric sharpener.

5:03 p.m. on July 29, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,173 reviewer rep
1,701 forum posts

Please don't use an electric sharpener.  Pay the $5 to have it done if you don't have the time.  The barber/beautician will know a good sharpening service.  Even the vet/dog groomer will be able to tell you who does sharpening

Diamond hones work well while using less repetitions if you have hand/wrist issues but still want to DIY. 

9:40 a.m. on July 30, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,074 forum posts

Carbon steel knives are easy to sharpen by hand.

Get to know a butcher. They will sharpen knives for free.

1:45 p.m. on July 30, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,680 reviewer rep
2,335 forum posts

if you own a spyderco knife, they have a complimentary sharpening service for straight edges.  all you pay is shipping.  same with Benchmade.  

high quality knife steel takes a while to sharpen, and to some extent, the longer you wait, the longer it takes.  

i'm also not aware of any electric sharpener that i would use on a quality outdoors/field knife.  plus, if you make a mistake with an electric sharpening, you could damage the edge a lot faster than if you are doing it by hand.  

it takes some time and trial/error, but i'm glad i spent the time learning how to sharpen by hand.  

10:54 p.m. on July 30, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Thanks guys...

No electric...  I did order a sharpening puck though.

9:24 a.m. on July 31, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,074 forum posts

For stainless steel an electric sharpener is fine. You just have to understand blade grinding, and maintain the right angle. It is very difficult to sharpen dull stainless without one.

1:16 p.m. on August 1, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Well this is a small camp hatchet made of stainless steel.  So ppine says an electric is fine, but I read online that a hatchet is ground different.  It does not seem to be much different though as it looks to be a 30 degree angle..not sure though.  I have yet to get the puck that I ordered, but they are supposed to be for sharpening axes and hatchets.  It is just a cheap hatchet that came dull as a campaign ad, so I really would like to sharpen it.   

2:18 p.m. on August 2, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

I use a carbide blade shaper to get the angle you need. Then I used the work sharp to sharpen. It's like a tiny belt sander. 3 swipes on each side and it's like a razor. 

9:48 a.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,074 forum posts

A mill file is all you need for any axe.

10:25 a.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

mudfoot74 said:

I use a carbide blade shaper to get the angle you need. Then I used the work sharp to sharpen. It's like a tiny belt sander. 3 swipes on each side and it's like a razor. 

Shaper?  Or do you mean sharpener?  In any event, what brands do you own?

2:07 p.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Really a sharpener. I took the cutting out of a pull through sharpener and made my own adjustable sharpener. I use it to shape the the blade angle. Easier than a file. (Just lazy). 

I use a work sharp machine to do final edge. Axe or knife it will be super sharp. Tons of video on the work sharp on youtube. 

10:57 a.m. on August 4, 2015 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

Well I got my Lanskey Puck and oil, and worked on the hatchet for over an hour and it is better, but still nowhere close to sharp.  At this point I am going just take it in to be sharpened.  Oh...that puck is a good way to cut the tip of your finger off.  If I continue to use it I am getting a pair of chainmail gloves...

April 6, 2020
Quick Reply