Daypack Question

9:45 a.m. on October 9, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi,

I'm new here to the forum but not new to hiking. I mainly do dayhikes and I am looking for a new daypack. My old, old pack has seen better days. I have narrowed my search down to (2) packs: Osprey Talon 22, and Deuter Airlite 22. I have checked out all my local sporting good stores (REI, Gander Mountain, and Dick's Sporting Goods), and none of these (3) stores have these packs in stock to try them to see how they fit and feel.

Do any of you have any experience with either of these packs? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you,

Tom

1:23 p.m. on October 9, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Can you ask your local shops to order them both in (if possible), and then try them in store?

...or order them both from someone who has a reasonable return policy. If either of them fit/feel right with the weight you intend to carry.... then keep one and return the other.

The other option is, forget those, and try on bags around the same capacity and style which are available to you, and just keep the best one.

2:28 p.m. on October 14, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

can't speak to these packs, but i have a smaller one (a 13 liter hydration pack) from osprey and a larger (36 liter) one from Deuter.  Both great companies that generally make great gear.

the Osprey might have a few sizes, so make sure you pick the one that fits your torso.  

you should be able to order both from REI, try on, and return the one that doesn't work out.  great return policy.  a wee bit of a headache to return things, but better off making sure it fits.

3:28 p.m. on October 14, 2015 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,119 reviewer rep
4,046 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Tom!

If you haven't seen them already, we have a number of user reviews of the Osprey Talon 22 (12 reviews)
https://www.trailspace.com/gear/osprey/talon-22/

Unfortunately, we don't have any of the Deuter Airlite 22 (yet)
https://www.trailspace.com/gear/deuter/airlite-22/

For what it's worth, I have some Talon packs and like them a lot. I also really like my other Deuter packs for fit and carry (including the women's ones, not an issue for you). Both brands are worthy ones to start looking at.

I agree with TJ and Andrew above that you'll want to be able to try out both  in a local store (and/or other models) for your own personal fit and preferences. Or you can order from somewhere with a good return policy.

Good luck. I hope you'll eventually let us know in a gear review what you end up with and how it works out.

7:45 a.m. on October 15, 2015 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

Order them both from REI online. You can get free shipping to the store for pick-up then return either or both to the store, that way you can try them both and won't cost you a penny extra.

8:05 a.m. on October 15, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions!! I was able to try the Deuter Airlite 22 and the Talon 22. The Talon definitely fit me a lot better then the Deuter. I ended up buying the Talon 22.

Again, thanks to everyone for all your help!!!

Tom

12:40 p.m. on October 15, 2015 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,119 reviewer rep
4,046 forum posts

Great!

The Talons are very popular packs for a reason (someone just stopped me in an airport security line the other day to start talking about Osprey packs), so hopefully it should work well for you.

Once you've had plenty of time with it on the trail I hope you'll write a gear review of how yours worked out.

-Alicia

12:14 p.m. on October 17, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Update:

I went out on a 12 miles round trip hike yesterday with my new Osprey Talon 22. Autumn here in Michigan is my favorite time of the year for spending time out on the trails.

I filled my pack with additional items; a sweatshirt, binoculars, DSLR camera, and a small lunch with a few snacks and (2) water bottles (one in each side pocket).

I don't have a hydration pack just yet; maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas this year :-) 

This pack fits me perfectly!! At times, I almost forgot I had it on. So far it's a great pack for hikes of this length.

As time goes on, and I get more experience hiking with this pack, I'll write my review on this pack in the review section.

Tom

12:07 p.m. on October 18, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,631 forum posts

Or find a large stuff sack and sew some straps on it for an ultralight day pack.

February 17, 2019
Quick Reply