Need help for backpack fitting

11:24 p.m. on October 14, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Hi all,

Few days ago I just bought my first hiking daypack and it's Osprey Mira 34. I bought it from the outlet shop of Osprey official retailer. Unfortunately they don't have the Osprey measuring tool and the shop keeper only suggested that the belt should be on the hip. Mira 34 is on the right model as it has plenty of outer pockets, however the belt strap falls above the illiac crest. There are 2 sizes for the bag: XS/S and S/M. Even with S/M, the belt strap couldn't get down to the hip that finally the shop keeper suggested to try the men's pack. 

I finally decided to go with XS/S size since the S/M size seems to always ride up after bending down or when walking. I'm 5'3" tall with 17" torso. At home I tried to load it but the weight felt like on my shoulder instead of hips. I'm not sure whether it's the right size. 

Otherwise, maybe I fit it the wrong way. Usually I will tighten the shoulder strap first, followed by the belt strap. Yesterday I tried to loosen all the straps, fit the belt strap around illiac crest, and tighten the shoulder strap. 

Hope I can get some advise here on the fitting. I only have few more days to return it, if necessary. 

Thank you very much.

2015-10-12-08-43-31.jpg

7:40 a.m. on October 15, 2015 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

You should cinch the hip belt first, with shoulder straps loosened.

It sounds as though when you tried them on in the store they were not loaded with weight?? If so you can't get a good sense of fit. So, loosen all straps, load with approximate carry weight, then try on cinching the hip belt first.

1:58 a.m. on October 16, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks JR.

When trying in the store I loaded both bags. The smaller size sits on the back nicely as I tighten the shoulder strap first, so the hip belt goes to the waist. The bigger size kept riding up. At home I tried again for a prolonged time and started to feel the bag dragging my shoulder down.

I tried your suggestion to fit the hip belt first, however after tightening the strap, there's quite a gap between the pack and the back. It's pulling the shoulder down as well.

8:05 p.m. on October 16, 2015 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,277 forum posts

the purpose of a hip belt on most day packs is to stabilize the pack, facilitating better balance when covering uneven ground.  These hip belts do not carry the load.  I assume by your pic this is the case for your pack, too, as there is no padding on the belt where it crosses the crest of you hip bones.   Furthermore you are very petite at 5'1" so it is unlikely any adult pack is too small.

Most of us do not load up a day pack with enough weight to warrant transferring the load to the hips.

As for belt tightening sequences, I adjust daypacks and full size packs differently.  On full size packs I cinch up the hip belt first, than adjust the shoulder straps for comfort.  I will readjust all straps while hiking, intentionally moving the weight around to give body parts a rest. 

I adjust daypacks by adjusting the shoulder straps first so the load is comfortable on my back.  I tighten the waist band only when I want to preclude the pack shifting and possibly causing a balance issue while covering rugged terrain.

Ed

12:21 p.m. on October 25, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Sherly Y said:

Thanks JR.

I tried your suggestion to fit the hip belt first, however after tightening the strap, there's quite a gap between the pack and the back. It's pulling the shoulder down as well.

Sherly,

Always adjust your hip belt straps first... Once that is done, pull the load lifter straps tight (this will bring the weight of the pack up to your shoulders/back. Then attach the sternum strap and adjust them.

If you always use this sequence, and if the pack is the right pack for you, it should feel comfortable.

This sequence has always worked for me over the years and it is the sequence that most people use. I've been to many outdoor shops over the years....REI, Moosejaw, Gander Mountain, and private shops...... This is the sequence they all promote.

Hope this helps,

Tom

12:45 p.m. on October 25, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Finding the right daypack can be a daunting task.... When I was in the market for my current daypack, I did some research on the web, went to numerous forums, watched video reviews, etc.

I then went to my local REI store with some idea which pack might be the right one for me. After spending about 3 hours with their knowledgeable staff, I tried on (7) different packs, all were weighted down, and then I walked around the store with each pack on to see how each one felt. 

There were (2) different packs that turned out to be finalist for me. I then had to compare the two, with their slightly different features, and then decide which one was right for me. 

In the end, The CamelBak Pursuit 24LR was the clear winner. 

As a side note, The CamelBak wasn't even on my original list.

Tom

8:12 p.m. on October 25, 2015 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Sherly Y said:

Try leaning forward as you tighten the hip belt, so that the weight of the pack is resting on your back and not pulling away. This will allow you to adjust the hip belt for its purpose and then once that is done adjust the shoulder straps.

5:45 a.m. on October 26, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thank you everyone for the kind advises. 

Tom, great that you found the best pack for you! I heard many review about REI and how I hope I have REI in my country. The shop I visited only carry limited brand and they are Osprey distributor, so my selection is limited to Osprey. 

I returned to the shop and another experienced attendant straight away said the bag was too small. I went for the bigger size and it sits nicely on the hip. Yesterday I tested it on a full-day city walk with the water reservoir filled up 2.5L. It was really heavy! I also carried a pair of Z-poles, a mirrorless camera, jacket, and umbrella. The setup is really bulky for a daypack although it is still comfortable considering the total weight. When walking i feel the weight is not evenly distributed on the hip. The hassle comes when grabbing essentials (phones, train tickets, wallet) to unbuckle, lift down on one arm, and loosen up the strap, and buckle up again. The dangling hose is a bit disturbing but I really appreciate the easiness in taking sips during the walk. I took more water than usual (when on the road) and will definitely need this during my upcoming trip.

Currently I'm thinking how to modify the setup for easier access to essentials. 

JR, I will try that! When I still have this issue with weight pulling away, although not as bad as the initial issue.

8:41 p.m. on October 28, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

You generally want the hip belt to be just below your belly button for optimum fit and function. Though sadly most packs load lifter straps are so poorly designed it doesnt matter. Not sure about the smaller osprey packs but thier big ones have ok ones.

contrary to what someone else posted. The load lifters should be last to adjust.

order should be:

hip belt

shoulder straps

sternum strap

just barely past snug load lifters

ever slightly release shoulder straps a tiny smidge

then you can tighten and loosen the load lifters as you hike to move weight around. That is, if the load lifters actually work.

1:14 a.m. on November 25, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Hi everyone,

I've just came back from my trip for which I bought this backpack and would like to share the review.

This is an excellent backpack. I traveled alone to Japan and combined light hiking and city walk. The bag carried water bottle, camera, lens, books, food, jackets, etc. It can get bulky but remains light. Taking everyone's advise here, I tighten the waist strap first, then lean forward to tighten the shoulder strap, and finally theload lifters. I often forgot about load lifters but it really gave a snug press to the back. No backpain nor shoulder pain at all despite all-day walking/hiking. I don't like the sensation of the chest strap but it really helps when I need to pace up or hiking up/downstairs.

My only complaint is the hassle to unbuckle the strap to grab something. Also, the stow-and-go strap is useless for Black Diamond Z-poles, that I need to put it in the bag's main compartment.

Thank you for the awesome feedback!

9:56 p.m. on December 2, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,750 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

You are most welcome. Glad you had a good trip

May 24, 2019
Quick Reply