Gore Tex Pro vs. Polartec Neoshell

3:01 p.m. on October 15, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,737 reviewer rep
2,219 forum posts

Two hard shells compared, both from the same manufacturer, Mountain Equipment.  Potentially a good way to evaluate the different waterproof/breathable solutions.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/mountain-equipment-centurion-tupilak-gore-tex-pro-vs-polartec-neoshell/3

I have not used a hard shell jacket with polartec neoshell, but i have a soft shell with the membrane.  my experience has been similar to the observations in this article - it stops rain for all practical purposes, but i felt like some moisture was working its way through along the shoulder straps and hip belt after an extended hard rain.  it does vent moisture really well, and it is air-permeable to a degree that is notable.  

i also have experience with the newer version of gore tex pro.  great jacket from arcteryx, but i still rely on pit zips to help regulate how warm i am.  having a membrane that does a somewhat better job venting moisture from within hasn't changed that; my point of comparison is the patagonia houdini, which has no membrane at all, just very thin nylon.  while the houdini is very 'breathable,' i still take it off on a hard uphill unless i really need it on to keep me warm, eg in high winds or drizzle.    

July 15, 2019
Quick Reply