Road ID bracelet......your opinions?

5:40 p.m. on October 25, 2015 (EDT)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Hi guys,

I just got my Road ID bracelet.  https://www.roadid.com/p/the-Wrist-ID-Elite

It seems like a great idea and much better information than just what is on my driver's licence. I opted for the interactive bracelet which is linked to a webpage with all of my emergency contacts and very detailed medical information from my Dr's name and number to my blood type, current meds, allergies, etc, etc.

Although I am married, I often hike, cycle and kayak alone (for solitude), so this seems perfect for me. If I am ever severely injured/unconscious and can't talk to an EMT or an E.R. Dr. the bracelet gives them access to very important info.

When I received it , I was only wearing it when I was out alone on my bike, but now I'm wearing it almost daily. I figured, if I'm in a car accident it could help there too.

Do any of you guys wear these? Has you bracelet ever been "put to use?"  

8:07 p.m. on October 25, 2015 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

I agree it's a good idea to carry indelible, detailed, personalized information when out in the backcountry, especially alone. Instead of a wrist band I made a dog tag and attached it to my pack. It probably would be better if it were on my person, but I rarely drop my pack and figure it will be with me for almost anything that would happen to me that would require someone to access that information.

11:55 a.m. on October 26, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

Barb and I have had RoadIDs for a number of years now. Barb has the bracelet style, and I have the "dog tag". The only time we have put them in use has been in our biennial Wilderness First Aid and CPR training courses, during the scenarios. In those courses, you are taught, among many other things, to check for Medic Alert bracelets or necklaces. Since a lot of people don't know about such things, during the classes they are always startled to discover "what's this? A medic necklace/bracelet???). 

They are good for the professional EMTs, though. Here in the SFBay Area, it is always a good idea to assume when biking (an a large fraction of the population bicycles to commute and/or recreation) that the drivers (a) do not see you, or (b) they are out to get you "D@#** bikers!!! GET OFF MY ROAD". Doesn't stop the drivers, but at least the medics get some good info quickly and can notify your next of kin.

Unfortunately, there are way too many bike accidents (mostly Muni drivers and cars, but a lot of cyclists descending the local steep curvy mountain roads). So we wear ours every day.

So far, they have been a "magic charm" - only one incident where one was actually used. Barb is allergic to NSAIDS. She got a bit overheated on one of our hikes on a 90+° day. A couple of people at the parking lot decided to "help" us by calling 911, which brought the EMT truck. The EMTs insisted on taking Barb to the hospital, although she was just fine by the time they got there. But at least the EMTs were impressed by the RoadID and made the phone call to get Barb's info.

10:05 p.m. on October 26, 2015 (EDT)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

I wear mine daily. In fact, I have a review in the works.

20150715_170204.jpg

9:55 a.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Bill S wrote:

"They are good for the professional EMTs, though. Here in the SFBay Area, it is always a good idea to assume when biking (an a large fraction of the population bicycles to commute and/or recreation) that the drivers (a) do not see you, or (b) they are out to get you "D@#** bikers!!! GET OFF MY ROAD". Doesn't stop the drivers, but at least the medics get some good info quickly and can notify your next of kin."

Bill, I'm in Atlanta, and drivers have the same attitude (for the most part) toward cyclists here too.  As I get older, (I'll be 50 in Jan.) I'm riding less and less on busy, public roads; and more and more on dedicated bike paths and in local and state parks where the speed limit is very low and drivers are much more conditioned to watch for and be respectful of cyclists on the road.

5:51 p.m. on October 28, 2015 (EDT)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Just posted my review. Thanks for this thread to get my lazy rear in gear!

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/road-id-wrist-id-sport/#review34473

1:57 p.m. on December 18, 2015 (EST)
44 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

My wife made me promise to get one for my early morning/late night runs, so of course I got one!

Haven't (fortunately) needed to use it in an emergency situation, but it's nice knowing that first responders have access to medical information.

I wear it everyday, just part of what's now "permanently" attached to my wrist.....

8:09 p.m. on December 18, 2015 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Kevin Kirwan said:

My wife made me promise to get one for my early morning/late night runs, so of course I got one!

Haven't (fortunately) needed to use it in an emergency situation, but it's nice knowing that first responders have access to medical information.

I wear it everyday, just part of what's now "permanently" attached to my wrist.....

Kevin, I wear mine everyday now. Sure, it would be handy if I need help while cycling or kayaking, but what if I'm in a car accident?  Helpful there too!

8:09 p.m. on December 18, 2015 (EST)
202 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Kevin Kirwan said:

Kevin, I wear mine everyday now. Sure, it would be handy if I need help while cycling or kayaking, but what if I'm in a car accident?  Helpful there too!

1:09 a.m. on December 19, 2015 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I've never seen them before I had always worn dog tags.Now I dont wear them now I think I may get a meat tag or 2.Once it's tattooed on its not gonna get lost that's for sure.

10:20 p.m. on December 21, 2015 (EST)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

tracker clayton 2 said:

I've never seen them before I had always worn dog tags.Now I dont wear them now I think I may get a meat tag or 2.Once it's tattooed on its not gonna get lost that's for sure.

Yeah, but even "permanent" information can change. Natural disaster might force a move. 

I have been married to my wife for 25 years this July, and I am seeing that to the end, but one of us will die before the other....or she might just get a new cell phone number.

My dad lived in the same house for 36 years. Then mom died of cancer, and he came to realize he had too much house to live in.

May 26, 2019
Quick Reply