REI is getting my money this Christmas!

10:02 p.m. on October 26, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

So if you missed the news, REI has announced they will be closed both Thanksgiving AND Black Friday. Most of their employees will get Friday as a paid day off.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/10/26/rei-closing-on-black-friday-for-first-time-in-its-history/74627872/

I WAS going to buy my daughter vertical equipment for caving from an online retailer, but this announcement has ensured I will spend that money with a company that is treating their employees with respect!

9:29 a.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

With you 100%

10:06 a.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
403 reviewer rep
185 forum posts

Good for REI. I'll actually be shopping there this weekend.

12:18 p.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,945 forum posts

I was thinking Christmas would be a nice time to get a Patagonia Nano puff to add to my gear....Also a few nick nacks...

2:26 p.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

I always shop at REI whenever I need ANY outdoor gear.... They are a GREAT company...... too bad other companies aren't like them. 

3:02 p.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

Good on them, they sure are getting a huge amount of press off this.

3:38 p.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

dirtwheels said:

It's marketing genius. I bet they see record sales this Christmas.

7:36 p.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

Same here! I finally went to their closest store last Saturday (in Reading, MA,) and for anyone familiar with the movie "Clerks" I felt like Randall did when he walked into RSD Video LOL. 

9:27 p.m. on October 27, 2015 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,945 forum posts

Phil Smith said:

Same here! I finally went to their closest store last Saturday (in Reading, MA,) and for anyone familiar with the movie "Clerks" I felt like Randall did when he walked into RSD Video LOL. 

That was Filmed in the Video store I had my membership at And I went to High School with Kevin Smith and 4 people in the Movie...

4:01 p.m. on October 28, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,540 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

G00SE said:

dirtwheels said:

It's marketing genius. I bet they see record sales this Christmas.

Yes, companies are realizing that if you treat people like people, it can actually help the bottom line. 

REI is smart and knows that because so few other companies are doing this, it will be a "news" item for a day or two. Many major news outlets have run this story.

REI announced this not long after both a website and brand identity refresh. They're no dummies.

5:50 p.m. on October 28, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

KiwiKlimber said:

Yes, companies are realizing that if you treat people like people, it can actually help the bottom line. 

REI is smart and knows that because so few other companies are doing this, it will be a "news" item for a day or two. Many major news outlets have run this story.

REI announced this not long after both a website and brand identity refresh. They're no dummies.

I agree. And it's a win-win. They make money from doing a decent thing. I've always dreamed of a world where employers view employees as their most valuable resource (and employees return that respect by striving to build up the company they work for). 

8:49 p.m. on October 28, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

Unfortunately, a lot of employees will step over a piece of trash or walk by something that's obviously not in the correct place, then complain about how management makes it a terrible place to work.

I wonder if REI's move will become policy, and if anyone else will start doing it? It sure beats trampling store personnel to death in the frenzy to get a TV or toy. 

2:56 p.m. on October 29, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I have been in REI on Black Friday and it is pretty dead, so it seems like a good move and I don't think they are giving much up.  All the promotions at the big box stores draw everyone there.  Plenty of time to go to REI on the weekend, and anyway REI.com are open both Thursday and Friday. 

4:36 p.m. on October 29, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,258 forum posts

Unfortunately, a lot of employees will step over a piece of trash or walk by something that's obviously not in the correct place, then complain about how management makes it a terrible place to work.

Phil Smith,

I guess it depends on which REI you're at. Knoxville has a fairly new REI now, and on two different occasions, I had employees there tell me what a great place it was to work. One lady mentioned how they worked with her to allow her time off for some long distance backpacking. I'm not used to hearing such comments from retail workers and so it stood out in my memory.

7:20 p.m. on October 29, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

Patman said:

Phil Smith,

I guess it depends on which REI you're at. Knoxville has a fairly new REI now, and on two different occasions, I had employees there tell me what a great place it was to work. One lady mentioned how they worked with her to allow her time off for some long distance backpacking. I'm not used to hearing such comments from retail workers and so it stood out in my memory.

To clarify, I wasn't speaking about any REI stores or employees but rather making a general reply to G00SE's post immediately above mine. Minimal effort and maximum expectations seems to be the predominant mindset today, unfortunately.

7:26 p.m. on October 29, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,258 forum posts

Ah ok gotcha 

9:03 p.m. on October 29, 2015 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

DrPhun said:

I have been in REI on Black Friday and it is pretty dead, so it seems like a good move and I don't think they are giving much up.  All the promotions at the big box stores draw everyone there.  Plenty of time to go to REI on the weekend, and anyway REI.com are open both Thursday and Friday. 

In addition to which Black Friday ain't what it used to be. Retailers are coming to regret getting what they asked for, in a way -- surveys consistently indicate that more and more people are buying holiday presents before the holiday season and/or waiting until the very end for the best prices, meanwhile retailers created a situation in which they have to try to out-compete each other with loss-leader deals to lure the fewer shoppers than ever who are out on Black Friday. It's a "race to the bottom", as they say.

Still, REI's gesture is noteworthy, it might even be the start of a Black Friday backlash trend.

1:17 a.m. on October 30, 2015 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,945 forum posts

Outdoor Research just joined REI in opting out Black Friday..They going to close their store and distribution center...Also REI and OR are using instagram for a campaign to raise money for an outdoor program paradox sports I believe when you post a picture tagged to REI on black Friday...They donate money to the program I believe....

7:08 a.m. on October 30, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

I dont shop Black Friday. It is the Thanksgiving creep that makes me mad. I am hoping there is enough positive response that the big box stores pull back from Thursday.

10:16 a.m. on October 30, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
202 forum posts

Even though the store will be closed you can still order online. That is how I order anymore. It beats dealing with the crowds.

It has gotten to a point that I don't need anything from them. Most of my gear comes from the cottage vendors

10:45 a.m. on October 30, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,540 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

Ewker said:

Even though the store will be closed you can still order online. That is how I order anymore. It beats dealing with the crowds.

It has gotten to a point that I don't need anything from them. Most of my gear comes from the cottage vendors

From what I've read, REI will not be processing online orders on Black Friday either. Their online processing, as well as physical stores, will both resume business on Saturday.

1:10 p.m. on October 30, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
202 forum posts

we shall see if they shut down their online business that day. 

12:11 p.m. on October 31, 2015 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Jerry Stritzke (REI - CEO) talks about the online business for "Black Friday"..... At 1 minute, 33 seconds in the video below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rei-jerry-stitzke-black-friday_563226b4e4b0631799111c9f

8:38 a.m. on November 3, 2015 (EST)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Ewker said:

we shall see if they shut down their online business that day. 

They've made it clear in several statements that the website will be running, but no orders will be processed until Saturday.

October 21, 2019
Quick Reply