4:56 p.m. on November 2, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,251 forum posts

Hi all,

I wanted to buy some Easton Black Gold 8.5 inch tent stakes:

http://www.eastonpoles.com/views/tent/tent-stakes.php

backpacker-stake.jpg

I couldn't find them anywhere, called Easton, and learned they quit making them.

My google-fu is failing me on this one; does anyone know of a similar type and length that someone else makes? I really want a stake longer than 6 inches and of a similar design.

5:23 p.m. on November 2, 2015 (EST)
6,707 reviewer rep
2,211 forum posts

if you can tolerate webbing instead of the metal loops, those are available:

http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/Easton_Tent_Stakes.htm

MSR groundhogs also have the loops.  otherwise, i think you're right, there isn't anything quite like what you pictured available.  

10:33 p.m. on November 2, 2015 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,802 forum posts

There are some really good anodized aluminum stakes out there. I forget who makes them, but they show up in shops all the time. They are red or slightly orange in color. If you want loops like the ones above, just drill a hole and add them.

11:54 p.m. on November 2, 2015 (EST)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

You should be able to get the 6" ones from ENO. Yeah, too short, I know.

Dream Hammock is making some sweet stakes out of titanium. I recently purchased some of the shepherds hooks and staples. Liking those a lot. The staple adds noticeable stability in softer soil. They are available off the shelf in lengths up to 9", custom colors, probably custom lengths as well. But no shiny knob.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/Sidewinder-Tent-Stakes/p/52670790/category=4019214

297497573.jpg

12:21 a.m. on November 3, 2015 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,324 forum posts
9:44 a.m. on November 3, 2015 (EST)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,251 forum posts

Hey thanks everyone! Andrew, thanks so much...that link to LDP was the winner. They have the exact stake I wanted! Just ordered 12 of them and spoke with Marcus the company owner...nice guy and very helpful.

9:45 a.m. on November 3, 2015 (EST)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,251 forum posts

Ed, you found them also at MLD....wow, I guess I need to get better with my search syntax

thanks

10:31 a.m. on November 3, 2015 (EST)
6,707 reviewer rep
2,211 forum posts

i owe my google expertise in part to our three teenagers.  they teach me something every day.  yesterday it was "finsta."  

:)

10:21 p.m. on November 3, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,243 reviewer rep
397 forum posts

I have MSR Groundhogs and Cyclones for firm ground, but for looser soil I like good old 9" military tent stakes. For sand or snow, the 12" stakes used for camouflage nets work well. You can even hammer them into frozen ground without breaking them, they may bend but they'll still be serviceable.

9:21 a.m. on November 4, 2015 (EST)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,251 forum posts

Yeah Phil, I typically use groundhogs also and I agree with you: they are not ideal for loose soil. Last weekend I was caught in a wicked wind storm at Low Gap in the Big Frog Wilderness; I should have relocated to a better spot but fought through it like a dummy. I was tarp camping and there was just not a solid place to stake into or tie to on one edge of my tarp.

June 25, 2019
Quick Reply