Comfortable mountain bike saddle for off-road camping trips

7:18 a.m. on November 5, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I am in need of a comfortable mountain bike saddle. I like to biking in the woods and mountains and combine it with other outdoor activities, including camping and climbing. But after a couple of days on my bike, my saddle starts to hurt a lot. Last time I had to go home two days early because of it. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find a good one? I have been to my local bike shop and tried some out, but I didn't like any of them. Does anyone else go mountain biking and have similar problems with their saddle? I understand that Schwinn makes a high-density foam saddle that's supposedly is one of the best. I also read that Fizik Aliante is one that a lot of people find comfortable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is limiting my ability to do what I really enjoy. 

9:52 a.m. on November 5, 2015 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Cover your existing saddle with sheepskin.

12:36 p.m. on November 11, 2015 (EST)
170 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

The most comfortable one I've used is the Serfas RX, which has been around for about 15 years. Go over to mtbreview.com and read the user reviews. I can't tell you anything about the Schwinn offering or the Fizik, because I haven't used those brands, only Selle (Stratos), Avenir (Comfy Road) and Serfas (Reactive Gel).

4:28 p.m. on November 11, 2015 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I find this seat sold at Amazon.com to be very comfortable, had mine 7 months and I ride about 6000 miles a year on and off road. I have never driven a motor vehicle only bicycles.

http://www.amazon.com/Lemo-Comfortable-Bicycle-Seat-High-Density/dp/B012FS0JQY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1447276793&sr=8-13&keywords=Bicycle+seat

Lemo-saddle-1.jpg
Called the Lemo Comfortable Seat

Lemo-saddle-2.jpg
The gel inner part is very comfortable and the slot in the middle give place for your tailbone.

Lemo-saddle-3.jpg

The bars on the bottom fit most standard mtn bikes.

10:28 p.m. on November 11, 2015 (EST)
RETAILER
13 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

...............are you sure its your "saddle" that is hurting?

I had a small bike shoppe (Ok Velo) for 20 years and your quaere as posed begs for more info than I doubt can/will be met here re a solution

What saddles have tried and found fault with

WTB offered a selection of test ride saddles and a competent shoppe might have

Do you ride in bike shorts or n. shorts?

If you ride a road bike I'd start with that set up (assuming you are comfortable on it)

What sort of mileage base do you have, your problem may be a matter of conditioning, what is the nature of your "discomfort"

My experience suggests that sheepskin is a non starter, and as to "padding" it ain't necessarily the answer to all problems 

12:16 a.m. on November 20, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

I love my Brooks Cambium... http://www.brooksengland.com/cambium/

It is rubber and flexes, but is virtually waterproof, but still has texture so you don't slip around.  The fitting of the bike has a lot to do with comfort too, as if you are not positioned correctly you will have more problems than just your butt.  But on that note...I also use padded riding shorts.  

2:56 p.m. on November 20, 2015 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

Trailspace doesn't really focus on bike issues - but through long and painful experience I've found a few constants:

1. Every rump is different! Some saddles work for me and don't work for others.

2. Firm saddles are better in the long run. Soft, padded saddles feel great at first, but after a long day create numbness and chafing in most.

3. Cut-outs work! Make sure your saddle has a cut-out like the one gary shared.

4. Saddles have a break-in period, and so do you! Many saddles that don't feel great at first improve over time. Perhaps this is the material being softened and bent to your body, or perhaps it's the body adjusting to a saddle. Either way, I can't made an educated decision about saddles in less than a week.

That said - I've had good luck with the WTB Pure V saddle. Many of my Pedi-Cab friends ride this saddle 50+ miles a day, 5 days a week: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1173854

5:35 p.m. on November 20, 2015 (EST)
295 reviewer rep
1,436 forum posts

Brooks has a long reputation for being "the best"---though it must be broken in.

I never used anything that didn't cause the most important member of the family to go numb.  Which upon reflection was a blessing.

April 4, 2020
Quick Reply