Ultralight waterproof/resistant gaiters?

11:01 p.m. on November 16, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,482 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Got some Dirty Girl gaiters this year, and hiked in them all summer, and they were great. One of the things I like is that they make them in a extra large size to fit my massive 14's, which isn't always the case. Many lightweight gaiters stop at 13.

My question is... is there a nice lightweight gaiter similar to these which are water resistant or waterproof, and come in ultra large size (Dirty Girl calls the size "Dang.")

Thanks!

12:57 p.m. on November 17, 2015 (EST)
1,994 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I have a pair of Rab (formerly Integral Designs) eVent shortie gaiters. Mine are L/XL and I wear size 11's. So no idea how they would work for your feet, but in terms of short, ultralight gaiter performance, I think they are good.

10:50 a.m. on November 18, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,482 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I checked them out, but they don't seem to be available anywhere right now. It looks like the replaced the eVent with Neo Shell somewhere along the line. But even those are out of stock everywhere. 

11:57 a.m. on November 18, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,665 reviewer rep
2,333 forum posts

size may be an issue for you, as you recognize, so buy from places where you can return if needed or where you can ask (if buying online) about the circumference so you can evaluate fit.

i have two pair of the integral designs short eVent gaiters.  Love them.  

gaiter.jpg

if you look at RAB's US website, it looks like you can buy the short neo gaiters there:  http://rab.equipment/us/shop/men/accessories/neo-shortie-gaiter  

there are other options out there.  outdoor research makes short gaiters from uncoated nylon, so water resistant. http://bit.ly/1O2V2Ng i use their long gaiters all the time in the winter.  these have the advantage of a more robust rubber strap under the arch - much more durable than the elastic or thin cord that comes with many short gaiters.  i tend to tear up the elastic cord on those ID eVent gaiters in about 18 months.  

black diamond too:  http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-talus-gaiter?skid=BLD0494-BK-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDpHYWl0ZXJzOjE6MTE6YmNzQ2F0NTExMDAwOTY=  

backcountry helpfully provided that the circumference of the black diamond gaiters is 19 inches.  

8:01 p.m. on November 18, 2015 (EST)
1,994 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I also have a pair of the full size Rab neoshell gaiters and think they are fantastic. Easily my favourite pair. So I imagine the neoshell shorties should be great as well.

9:13 a.m. on November 19, 2015 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

In a pinch a pair of plastic bread bags work very well. I have used them ever since I was a little boy when my mother put them on my feet to keep the snow and moisture from soaking my pant legs and socks when I went out in the snow in NY.

Simply pull one or more over your feet and up over your socks and over your pants legs.

The simplest things in life are free!

plastic-bag-gaiters.jpg

I use them more now for cycling to keep my feet dry.

If you use a plastic grocery bag you can tie the handle loops around your calves. And they fit all sizes of feet, I having big feet too wearing 13-14s depending on what outdoor activity I am doing.

9:14 p.m. on November 19, 2015 (EST)
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

Poor folks' vapor barrier socks for when you couldn't afford felt-lined green pac boots LOL. We used them to a lesser extent with knit wool mittens, too. Even in the army the concept came in handy, there was nothing warmer in the winter when wearing chemical gear or on the washrack than wool glove liners inside the black rubber chemical gloves. 

11:00 a.m. on November 20, 2015 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I can afford good gear, I just choose to make do with good homemade stuff.

In my youth I used to camp in the woods behind our home and make lean-to's from the trees. I like practicing primitive camping using mainly what nature provides to save carried weight and make outdoor life more pleasurable.

I built a Paiute Indian pit house in the wilds of SW Utah over the last 10 years. Looks like this...

Pit-house.jpg
As seen from the outside

pithouse.jpg
Cut away drawing

Go light and go farther

2:57 p.m. on December 17, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,482 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Just found that Z-packs is now making a eVent/Cuben fiber gaiter. Available in either "calf" or "ankle" height. Might have to try these out!

http://zpacks.com/accessories/gaiters.shtml

12:52 a.m. on December 18, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

My Gators are from REI and I love them...wear them all the time riding bike to work.

9:18 a.m. on December 18, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,482 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I tried REI gaiters. They don't fit anyone larger than size 12 (I am 14).

9:20 a.m. on December 21, 2015 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

David Link said:

I tried REI gaiters. They don't fit anyone larger than size 12 (I am 14).

Yeah, I wear size 12s and these are tight.  I don't have big calfs so these fit real nice, but if you are a big guy with Fred Flintstone calves, then the REI's probably would not work.

April 2, 2020
Quick Reply